Google Assistant intermittent connection to Home Assistant

When this started happening to me, I added a command to my Node-Red automation to send a {“message”:“Sync my devices”} command every 10 minutes and it’s either helped or conveniently the issue has gone away at the same time I implemented that change.

If it matters, I use this addon for broadcasting/sending commands to google home:

I use Nabu Casa for the main GA integration.

Same issue here. What I’ve noticed is the state for a device will change but it seems like the assistant tries to verify that it changed or fetch it’s updated state and fails to which triggers the all annoying “Sorry it seems the Home Assistant is not available right now”.

Of course syncing devices fixes it for a while which I don’t understand.

I’ve been having this exact same issue for months now. Add in that you’ll get the “sorry I couldn’t contact home assistant” (or something similar) message, then the device will turn on/off anyway.

The one thing I’ve noticed is that this SEEMS to improve or happen less after a recent HA reboot. For the time being I’ve set up an automation to reboot HA nightly to see if that helps, but this is a terrible solution.

I’d really love to see some HA devs respond here. I’d argue the google, Alexa, and Siri integrations are integral to the success of HA. I’ve been trying to find a solution to this on and off for months and all I’ve found are posts with tons of people having the same problem and no response. IMO this sort of thing, which defines the main interaction channel between users and HA, should be getting a lot of attention. We want more people coming to HA but it’s hard to recommend it if I know their main experience with HA won’t perform well.

Edit: note - I use the nabu casa integration for home assistant, not the manual one.

Same problem for me. I’ve home assistant installerà on a rpi3, public and static ip and duckdns. Someone solved? It s happening quite often

I had an experience similar to the one described above, but only when I asked Google to turn on a specific switch in home assistant while all the other HA switches worked perfectly.

In the end I discovered that there was something wrong with the turn_on action of that specific template switch , probably it simply took too long and Google decided to answer "sorry I couldn’t contact home assistant” after a short timeout (but the action was indeed executed).

Now I changed the switch from this:

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      interruttore_televisione_cucina:
        value_template: "{{ states('remote.harmony_hub_cucina') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: remote.turn_on
          data:
            entity_id: remote.harmony_hub_cucina
            activity: Guarda Kodi Cucina
        turn_off:
          service: remote.turn_off
          data:

to this:

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      interruttore_televisione_cucina:
        value_template: "{{ states('remote.harmony_hub_cucina') }}"
        turn_on:
          service: script.turn_on
          target:
            entity_id: script.turn_on_tv_cucina
        turn_off:
          service: script.turn_on
          target:
            entity_id: script.turn_off_tv_cucina

and moved the Logitech Harmony call to scripts:

turn_on_tv_cucina:
  mode: single
  sequence:
    - service: remote.turn_on
      data:
        activity: Guarda Kodi Cucina
turn_off_tv_cucina:
  mode: single
  sequence:
    - service: remote.turn_off
      data:

Now the switch runs in an asynchronous way and it seems to be working reliably.

I don’t know if other cases are similar to mine but, in general, I guess that it is always a good idea to ensure actions called by Google are very quick or are called asynchronously.

Has it been reported as a bug as I have this exact issue only it’s now years later, surly this can’t still be an issue??