Google Assistant reporting sensor reading from HA via IFTTT

Long story, I’ve just installed Hive to control my central heating and have set up a load of applets in IFTTT to control it via Google Assistant and also installed the HA custom component developed by rendili and co for automating some functions. All fine and dandy so far.

The one thing I haven’t been able to do is to get Google Assistant to respond to “what’s the temperature inside?” and report the temperature from the thermostat. The HA component reads it as a sensor with no problems so what I thought should be doable is to get IFTTT to ask HA what the sensor reading is. I have loads of applets for controlling ‘switches’ in HA via IFTTT and to a layman it sounds like getting a sensor reading out should be simple, am I being naive? Is there another way to do it?

Any ideas appreciated as always.

I was looking into this recently, and was looking at using IFTTT to call the HA rest api and use the HA TTS - google-say to read back a sensor value. I haven’t figured it out yet though, this thread was the closest I could find to doing this, but no solution yet.

1 Like

Try this script. Call the script using the HA api from IFTTT

say_kitchen_temp:
    sequence:
      - service: tts.google_say
        entity_id: media_player.google_home1  
        data_template:
          message: 'The kitchen temperature is {{ states.sensor.kitchen_temp.state }} degrees celcius'
          cache: false```
1 Like