Google Calendar Event component issue with overlapping events

I’m trying to use the GCal Event Component, and having an issue related to overlapping events. For example, suppose I have an GCal configured to search for the word “Test”. I then have two entries in GCal - “Test 1” running from 12:00 to 1:00, and “Test 2” running from 12:30 to 1:00.

If I’m looking for a status change from “Off” to “On”, this doesn’t happen at 12:30, when the second event fires. So I have to monitor for change not only in state, but in the “message” field, and somehow keep track of what messages I had already seen. This is rather a pain - I’m doing this in AppDaemon, where it’s at least doable, but I hate to think what would be needed in Yaml.

So, is there a better way to tell when a new GCal event has started, even if another one is in progress?

(Note: Just setting up separate calendars that search for different key words isn’t an option, since in my application the event text is not pre-determined - the automation is all about taking each event from GCal, and doing something with the event text, whatever that text is.)

New Topic started. Moderators, please delete if possible.