Google Maps Stopped Working

The app is more than just a webview and device tracker, it offers notifications, sensors and widgets…you dont get those with the PWA that you have bookmarked. It also offers Android 11 power menu integration. You can share from other apps with HA. It offers a lot :slight_smile:

As one of the PR’s is to bump requests which is a core dependency its not gonna be able to happen sooner unfortunately.

@dshokouhi I completely neglected to mention the app, thanks! We do in fact have it running on a tablet, but not any of our phones.

I will now list two (very silly) reasons why we haven’t installed it on our phones:

1. I am concerned about battery drain due to an app that polls location (unproven concern and maybe illogical given 2 of our phones runs owntracks)

2. One of the family members has a 32GB iPhone, and apps on their phone are often “put into hibernation” due to lack of space and infrequent usage

This is NOT A COMPLAINT, just a reckoning of our particular circumstances and why the Google Maps integration is a good fit for us. Believe me, I’d LOVE to get the app on that iPhone and get MUCH more granular data! :wink: But the owner has an (understandable) concern with their father “tracking” them!

EDIT: to be fair, I should look into the app for at least our two Android phones. Worth testing out the battery drain concern!

Uh…weird, but…seems the Maps integration is working again…? Like y’all, I grabbed new cookies today, but it for sure WAS NOT working before noon. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Just checked, same here, so weird! I never even updated my cookies, first did a search and saw the problem here. It just magically started working a little after 6 EST with no changes from me to explain it.

1 Like

Yup, I can confirm that time. Really begs the question that there was a library/version issue, and smells a lot more like a server/service issue. No?

Here too…Just started working few hours ago…I didn’t update or anything.
I will keep using both Gmaps and Home Assistant Companion’s location linked to the “Persons” in my house, in case any of this happens again, because a lot of my automations depends on location/proximity.

Started to work again, without any change.

still not working here.
I’m on 2021.1.2

any suggestions?

Yes, it works again. No clue what the trick is / was. But after reboot it works