HA 0.84 iOS - "Overview" broken on older iPhones iPads [SOLVED]

I’m using HASS more than a year now, and I’m trying to be a faithful upgrader. In our household, we have nice mix of mobile devices; iphones 5s, 6, 8 and some versions of iPads (version 2, 3 and 4).

Since the upgrade to 0.84, the “Overview” screen no longer works in the iOS apps (only) for our older iPhones (5s) and iPads (2 and 3). (Note: the same problem occurs on in the iOS 1.5 beta app, as in the official release version 1.1.1)
Restoring to HASS 0.83.3 restores the functionality, so it seems that something got broken in 0.84.0). I’ve also tried out versions 0.84.1 -> 0.84.3, but they do not resolve the problem…
The other views (“Map”, “Logbook”, etc…) are functioning normally, so it only concerns the “Overview” view…

Thanks for looking into this…
Best regards
-Dirk

Are you using Lovelace or the older Polymer UI?

I’m using HA ok on my iPad 3rd gen without issue, but not using Lovelace however

I had that issue with my iPhone (iOS 9.3.3) and Hassio 0.84. I’m running 0.84.3 and it seems to be working now.

I’m also running the homeassistant iOS app 1.5 (32)

Try updating and let us know if it doesn’t work still.

Hi Codec303,
no, I’m not using Lovelace… also, when trying to start the “Try out the new Lovelace UI” from the About-menu (accessible under the info-button in the app), the app complains that “Lovelace-UI.yaml is not accessible”…
Not sure if this could be related…
Thanks for yr reply,
-D

Hi LUNZ,
I did all that but no joy…
Here is a screenshot of what I see…
thx for yr reply,
-D

Tried deleting content/cookies and refreshing?

Hi David,
not sure where I should delete the cookies/content… I’m running this in the HA-iOS app…
-D

It uses Safari I believe. So it’s in settings app. If you have chrome then delete there as well. Which iOS version are you on?

OK, David,
I tried your suggestion, but no joy… the funny thing is that with Safari I can login to my HASS instance and see the “Overview”.
To complete the information, my iPad runs iOS v.10.3.3 (last supported version for this version of iPad), but works without any problem with HASS 0.83.3…
I did another test to rule out a faulty configuration file; I removed my configuration.yaml and restarted HASS. Again no change; on other devices there is an “Overview” pasge with content, while on the old iPad nothing shows up.
So, to be honest, I believe something got broken in the last versions (as from 0.84 onwards)…
-D

Are you running the beta version of the iOS app? If not, you should be. You can also go to the discord chat ios section and let the devs know there and they might be able to assist.

1 Like

Hi David,
yes, I tried both versions…
I’ll contact the people in the iOS-chat, and will revert if the solution is found…
Thqnks for your help,
-D

Hi there…
unfortunately, no change in the situation… no reponse @ Discord.
I am wondering if anyone has the same problem as me … or if I really would be the only one?
Thanks for any feedback on this…
and … a very happy New Year to all!
-Dirk

I am having the same issue. iPhone X running IOS 12.1.2 and home assistant 0.84.6. I just updated to 0.84.6 and the issue started occurring right away. The iOS app will not show the Overview screen, but every other screen is accessible.

I have signed out / signed back in
I have uninstalled / reinstalled the app

Hi guys,

finally solved the issue (at least for my own case)!
The cause of the problem was the use of the “legacy authentication”. I resolved the issue by using a user based login. That worked for me…

Thanks for everyone’s input,
-Dirk

WHat do you mean with “legacy authentication”? Where do i configure this?

I had the same issue on my iPad iOS 9.3.6 and this worked for me:

1 Like

Howdy,

I just tried to connect an old ipad (ios 10.3.4) to hassio and it would display lovelace but would not do anything with the toggle switches.

http://localhost:8123/states?es5 didn’t work but i found adding the below AND using the url luchoecv stated worked. Only issue is automatically created groups didn’t show in the frontend…

In configuration.yaml

frontend:
  javascript_version: es5

By default it should autodetect from earlier versions with the default:

frontend:
  javascript_version: auto

but it unfortunately doesn’t.

This also forces everything to use es5. ymmv.

Would be nice to get it working for older things like pads which are handy and can’t have their IOS upgraded to newer. Or if someone knows a better way

N.b. problem also occurs on opera, chrome and firefox so it’s not browser related but javascript version from the os. As it would appear.

:metal:

1 Like

Hi!

Tried all of the above, but on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5) the app is still stuck on “Initializing”
Any ideas to what else I can try to get it to work?

I’m beginning to think the only option is to get a new tablet :unamused:
thanks,

I have the same issue with iPad 4 (10.3.3)

Same issue here. The states?es5 trick didn’t work either.

Funny thing is that I can click on the menu on the left, but none of the screens will load. Same issue using both Safari and the HomeAssistant app.