HA in NUC Debian or Ubuntu. Server or desktop?

Ditto! This is what I think you should go for

What if I won’t use it for Kodi since I can run Kodi on another device. Would you recommend Ubuntu server in that case?

I would recommend PROXMOX (is debian) and hass.io as VM.

1 Like

Proxmox for sure. I see some confusion here, Proxmox is a full OS based on Debian and designed to work as bare metal hypervisor.

So you install Proxmox, you make a VM for Hass.io (I used Debian for VM OS for hass.io) and you can make an LXC container for Kodi, you’ll need to pass your iGPU through, however. I think it should work?

Best part about Proxmox are full VM and CT scheduled backups. Set it up, set it to sync to some remote location for backup and never worry about your services breaking again or having to go through hell of setting them up again.

As for your NUC I’m pretty sure it can run hass.io, kodi and it will only use like 10% of it, you can throw some game server on top :smiley: Or other services.

1 Like

If it works :frowning:
I had a few goes at Proxmox and I’m not a novice user by any means. I recently got a larger SSD and setup my NUC7CJYH (Celeron 2 core I think. According to the spec it supports virtualization) with 8Gb RAM and a 2Tb SSD and after some scrolling text after I told it to install Proxmox, the screen went bank and stayed blank. Also tried converting Debian Buster to proxmox using script and that just threw up a bunce of errors as well. So I just went back to Debian+Docker+Hass.io and it works fine as before. Disappointed as I wanted to try Proxmox.
Anyway on a black friday special I got a nice shiny i7 so when it arrives I’ll take another run at Proxmox. Unfortunately they don’t give you a SHA checksum to check the download but I did grab it twice on different days and the checksum was the same on both days. So I shall reserve judgement on proxmox for now.

Ubuntu desktop and vanilla docker is what I’m running on my nuc. CPU and ram usage remain VERY low. I however do not run much on it(besides hassio of course.) Just a linux noob who wanted a desktop just in case.

+1 for going this direction. Ubuntu / Docker / HassIO. Everything covered.

1 Like

In case of what exactly? I am genuinely curious, because I don’t see any part of managing a server being easier with a desktop environment, but I am probably numb to it all after spending so much time in Linux over the years.

In case I wanted to run kodi, or use it as a pc.

1 Like

See? All I think about is running servers. :joy:

That thought had never crossed my mind.

Then you do not need an X server and you need to sift through the rest of the posts in the thread :slight_smile:

I would go for ubuntu server myself, or debian if you want proxmox.

Also should have said earlier, I wouldn’t run kodi on my home assistant box anyway. Home assistant needs stability. Kodi is stable software, but it is very complex and there are simply times when you need to reboot. Don’t mix it up with your home assistant.

After the posts here, I decided not to use it for Kodi, at least in the beginning.
But definitely I will use it also as NAS.
So minimum user is HA & NAS.

I used this: https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install very simple and it worked like a charm.

I also used the guide by @kanga_who. It was very easy and a very well written guide. Before that I was using Proxmox and as someone who only ever knew of Linux as, ‘that-nasty-open-source, thinks-it’s-better-than-everything-else Windows basher’ before I found HA, (I come from a corporate IBM/Wintel background) I don’t know why but I somehow found Proxmox a bit more intuitive and would probably go back to using it.

But:

Its BIG drawback for me was that I couldn’t use the NUC Bluetooth and that is very important for me for presence detection.

And before anyone jumps on me I did have my tongue in my cheek. Linux is perfectly fine.
I’ve almost grown to like it :wink:

1 Like

Just to be clear, with the guide of @kanga_who, you can use bluetooth and with Proxmox you couldn’t . Correct?
I also want bluetooth and that’s why I ask again.
Thx!

Yes.

But just to be clearer…
It isn’t the guide by @kanga_who that makes Bluetooth available it is the Ubuntu/Docker/Hassio install.
It was the use of Proxmox that stopped me using Bluetooth

1 Like

Go with Proxmox + Ubuntu VM for Hass.io in Docker. I started with Ubuntu server + Docker on my NUC (without Proxmox) first, and then later discovered that it would be nice to have a Win10 VM (for BlueIris). Even if you don’t plan to install a lot of VMs, then Proxmox will give you the flexibility to do so if you discover that you need it down the road.

So I’m getting ready to reinstall my hassio and came here for a thread just like this to see what others are doing and what works well.

Very interested in the proxmox thing as it sounds like it makes backup really easy.

So I wonder if I could install proxmox on a machine I have windows on now and then use that windows license for a windows VM? And of course something else for HA.
I’ll have to do some searching.

Any thoughts?

No one suggested unRaid yet?
I started with it just for a NAS, now it also hosts HA, NodeRed, Mqtt, Influx, Grafana, Zigbee2Mqtt, Unifi controller for Network, Shinobi for Security Cams, a Plex server and a few other dockers.
I had never built a server, or had much experience with any of the above. Now I love it, it’s a total time sink!

1 Like

I got ESXi 6.7 running on my NUC7i7DNHE with an Ubuntu 18.04 server VM for Hassio. This VM is just for HA. I got some other VM’s for VPN, Unifi Controller and Plex.
I extended the diskspace with my Synology via NFS, so I got 5GB extra storage.
I also got 2 RPi 0w running for bluetooth scanning, among which my Mi Flora sensors.

With an i3 processor I think it’s better to run Proxmox instead of ESXi. Then you can create a seperate VM for Hassio and another one with Kodi.