HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

So, I’ve ordered the 5V AC DC converter, can I basically not use it here?

If it’s the Mean Well IRM-03-5 used in the HASP project, it isn’t going to work w/ a 7" Nextion. That’s a 3W PSU which @ 5V means 600ma. The ESP8266 can spike up to ~ 500ma, and the Nextion 2.4" display has a max draw of 90ma. So this is all fine for the project as designed, but if you’re going to swap out a 90ma part for a 510ma part, you’re going to need to beef up your PSU to match.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Luma. I will have a look. Should have asked before ordering 6× IRM-03-5s. You don’t know off the top of your head if there is a similar one available?

https://www.digikey.ch/product-detail/de/mean-well-usa-inc/IRM-10-5/1866-3032-ND/7704657
Presumably, this one would fit the bill?

That should handle everything you’re looking at! Note that it’s physically larger than the 3W model, so you’ll need a new footprint to make that work on a new PCB.

If you’re in the US, and you don’t have the ability to return those 6 PSUs, shoot me a PM - I’d be happy to buy them from you if you’re looking to get rid of them.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll have to get all of this based on a new PCB.

I am Switzerland-based, so unfortunately not.

I wonder how hard would it be to add presence detection?
I have not studied the code, but there is already a mqtt channel.
Just for grins, I order an ESP32 with my ESP8266.

These are the links that got me thinking this way …
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/esp32-based-ble-tracking-for-mqtt-room/71309

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/presence-detection-ble-mi-flora-rf-gateway-with-esp32-openmqttgateway-is-now-compatible/37577

I hate to ask a question that seems like it may be asked & answered, but I have really looked through a lot of posts. I just need some nudging, then I can take the next step(s)

I must have some wrong assumptions somewhere.

I am using a NodeMCU Amica, white bottom. I have used it testing other projects, in fact when I plugged it into the serial cable and started the monitor, it was sending status for the last thing I was testing. (Trying to see if I could read two HC-SR04)
First I tried to compile v .37 and got errors. Then I loaded the bin file. When I start the monitor with 115200, I get junk, like a wrong baud rate. I am new to Nextion so I started studying it some. So let me break up my issues into different sections.

First, start with Nextion. I have the editor running and the ‘HASwitchPlate.HMI’ loaded. When entering debug mode, I see HASP Initializing … screen. If I select ‘Use MCU input’ and baud rate set to 115200, then start. Then click on the screen I see ‘65 00 01 01 FF FF FF’ in the simulator return. The 01 changes to 00, so I am guessing 01 is touch and 00 is released. If I press restart this is what I get https://hastebin.com/ijusotoler

Now for the compile errors.
https://hastebin.com/abazobupuy.http

Thanks in advance

Update 3/9/2019 4:26pm
I downloaded 1.8.8 I was running 1.8.5 of the ide. I also changed from generic 8266 to NodeMCU 1.0. I was able to compile and upload. Starting the monitor I am getting some intelligent serial debug. So for sake of completeness, I went back to 1.8.5 and switch to board to NoneMCU 1.0 and it did compile with a warning.

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\PAULEN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_158204\core\core_esp8266_esp8266_nodemcuv2_xtal_80,vt_flash,exception_disabled,eesz_4M,ip_lm2f,dbg_Disabled,lvl_None____,wipe_none,baud_115200_be11c49f5546a1f0f775641c360d90c7.a
Sketch uses 450360 bytes (43%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1044464 bytes.
Global variables use 40000 bytes (48%) of dynamic memory, leaving 41920 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.

Now focusing back on the Nextion emulator.

Update 3/9/2019 4:42pm
As I was playing with the emulator, I remembered reading there has to be a proxy for the emulator to work. My assumption was that it would work through the USB. So I going to see if I can get the display fired up and connected. I hope I don’t see any magic smoke.

Update 3/9/2019 6:00pm
Progress !!!
Got it up enough to get it on wifi. I think I down to basic setup now. I hope this helps someone else.

2 Likes

x2 for the aus faceplates

1 Like

Hallo,

I have an exsisting MQTT alarm panel up and running on HA, Now the HASwitchPlate also has an alarmpanel. How to I Bring the two together?

alarm_control_panel.ha_alarm (HAswitchplate alarmpanel)
alarm_control_panel.alarm_system (MQTT alarm panel)

I already tried to Replace alarm_control_panel.ha_alarm in the HAswitchplate file with alarm_control_panel.alarm_system, but that tdid not work.

Gr. Remco

Hi,

lol, Really it would be much helpful can you please also point out what changes i might need to do in the sketch in order to getting it work with arduino uno.

thanks

I’ve not worked with any of the wired Arduino networking options, so I can’t really point you in any direction there. Have you tried it? My best suggestion would be to just wade in and see what comes of it.

I’m not really sure what you’re trying to accomplish. Can you post up the config you’re working with on hastebin or similar?

@luma,

When the alarm is armed via the HASwitchplate, I want the real alarm to arm also, I can control the real one via a MQTT messing to the home/alarm topic sending armed-away, pending, armed or disarmed. Not sure how to acclompish this, via automations ?

Gr. Remco

The alarm component used in the HASP packages is purely for demo purposes and isn’t an actual alarm system. If you have an alarm setup already implemented, you’ll want to edit the service calls in the stock page 7 automations to interact with your actual alarm instead of the demo component.

Which file exactly were you editing?

I edited hasp_display1_p7_alarm.yaml and replaced entity_id: alarm_control_panel.ha_alarm with the Entity off the working MQTT alarm. But that didn’t work.

Ik Will take another look at hasp_display1_p7_alarm

Thanks…

I was going to see what it would take to get HASP running on the ESP32. Thought maybe using the Bluetooth for presence detection. May be a little too ambtioness considering I don’t have my 8266 up and running. Actually, I have it up, just don’t have the dot’s connected for configurations. Anyway while doing a little research, waiting on the slow boat from China, I found this video.
Watch “#168 ESP32 Dual Core on Arduino IDE including Data Passing and Task Synchronization” on YouTube

Someone who messed around on Commodore 64 then upgrading to a KayPro/CPM, I find it very interesting we are talking about parallel processing on a $5 chip.

And I’d just love to put all the forth programming I used to do to good use :slight_smile:

Hallo,

I found a project on thingiverse for a 3.5" Nextion display to build inside a European wall box:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2603232

Maybe someone can use this.

Gr. Remco

3 Likes

Did anyone manage to write a Node-Red flow for this?

Thanks

I’ve got something functional but haven’t managed to keep pace with luma’s changes. Really the only big ones I don’t have working are the alarm panel and automatic backlight brightness by sunrise and sunset. The former I probably won’t get to but the latter is pretty high on my list… if I can ever get my pi to cooperate. I’ve got an Intel NUC on the way later this week since I’m tired of my pi locking up every single day or multiple times per day. HassOS has been so much worse than ResinOS ever was.

That aside, later today when I can get physical access to it so I can reboot it I’ll pull the flow out of it and post it here.