HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

https://3dhubs.com is what you’re after!

Thanks for the link.

So I ordered both the completed plate, and the PCB board from the tindy site. They both came in yesterday. (Thanks for the fast shipping) but the PCB board I got I think goes to another project. If it does go to this one, is there a schematic to follow?

Also is there any plans to have this run on POE

LOL OH NO! That is entirely my fault dude! That is in fact a completely unrelated project. I’ll send you a PM here and ship you the right PCB today!

edit: if you want to build a LoRaWAN connected air quality sensor then YOU’RE IN LUCK!

2 Likes

In regards to PoE - it’s been rattling around as a possible solution but I hadn’t taken the time to try and source a solution small enough to fit in the enclosure. Now I feel real bad about sending you the wrong damn PCB so I’ve gone and ordered some possible solutions to see if I can’t make them work :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, no rush. What you have done so far for the community, and this project is outstanding and more then we’ll gets the job done…POE would just be just extra.

Once you have POE, you won’t need the wifi bits of the ESP8266. SO are you contemplating a small Arduino?

POE would be for power only (at least the units I’ll be testing). Adding a full ethernet PHY is another can of worms altogether, and would require a full rewrite of the entire project. Probably out of scope for the moment.

seems like a waste of a wired connection, but yes I understand your reasoning!

1 Like

I share your desire to move to a fully wired option wherever possible. I’m hoping a cheap and small ESP32 solution for wired networking makes it on the market at some point as the ESP32 has the PHY on board which should make it possible. The existing options are either huge or expensive (or both) making such a move difficult at the moment. I’m carefully watching this space as I’ve been working more w/ the ESP32 and I think it’d make a great platform for HASP v2 :smiley:

1 Like

The budding maker in me loves everything about this project (ok, connecting to my AU 240v is never going to happen!). Over the air updates, my favorite esp unit. Touch screen! Giggles!

The UI designer in me is just not able to get into that Nextion screen. Is there any way or other product that will give me some anti-aliased loving? Doesn’t need to be crazy, but I shudder at Windows 1.0 style bitmap fonts :slight_smile: - I would have trouble with WAF as I have the artsy fartsy design literate version.

Keep going guys, this stuff is great!

Brendan

1 Like

Why do you think it won’t connect to 240v. The power supply is up to 280v I think.

The source is up on his Github, I’m sure most any developer in a typical mindset would be welcome to a GUI genius to make things “pretty” in heartbeat! Many coders like myself, just want to code logic and find the GUI and docs just a drag.

1 Like

The font rendering is a specific sore point with this platform. While I like the Nextion LCD devices we’re using here, their support team is… let’s say somewhat hostile to our project. They have directly said on several occasions that they don’t support open source and that applies to things like fonts.

The devs provide no antialiased or proportional fonts, but their support team is happy to make them for you for a price. I’ve offered to pay for a simple anti-aliased font, but they won’t allow distribution of that font which makes it useless for our project here. They keep talking about an improved font tool (also not-free) which I hope at some point might allow us crisper-looking fonts, but even then it’s only going to be a marginal improvement - we’re still talking about a 320x240 display here, so there are limits as to how sharp things can look.

If you have a Nextion forums account you can see their response here. If you don’t have an account, I don’t recommend jumping in - it’s not a fun place.

Did you manage to get anywhere with this please?

hi can you share the stl, i have been looking for a cleaner flush face from the front of the panel

Thanks in Advance

Gagan

I ordered 2 pre made switches… hope i can get it to work :slight_smile: I have not used mqtt yet.

1 Like

Can you ship the PCB internationally? I’d like to snap one up

@luma You seen this?

Could be the solution to our problems!

1 Like

Cool board,but what ‘problem’ do you think it solves?

That does look great from a feature perspective, providing both PoE and ethernet in one package. Looking at the picture it looks like it’ll probably be too big to fit in a work box, but I’m going to watch this space because it would provide an interesting alternative for boxes which have Cat5/6 run instead of 120VAC.