HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

I know that was a wide question - I know:) The problem is - I have flashed the D1 mini with the firmware. The display has got the tft file on it, but now, when I connect it, the screen is completely black. I have 5 volt attached form the wemos and the rx to pin D4 the tx to pin D7. I just had it to work, but now it won’t start up:( Is there a way to recreate the nextion display to factory settings?

The display don’t power on at all. The only way I can get light in the display is to put in the sd card with the tft file and power it up:(

I’m wondering if maybe you’ve turned off your backlight, which would look like a panel that doesn’t power up. If you plug it in, you should have a “plate01 Backlight” device in hass that has a slider where you can adjust the backlight.

hi, Trying something different i have hooked up things like

1. Tp4056 Battery charger
  2. nokia BL5c battery
  3. Nextion 2.4

Its working nicely just little dim when its switched all to battery power, the idea is to make a remote control that can be taken around the house.

One thing can this connect to Mqtt via hostname i have tried it does not go through as it will help in very plug and play manner.

Also some time if due to any reason power cycle happens some automations wont go on and screen will look empty or wont work so i have made another automation to fire on HA start and turn on all Pate automations this is helping me from un for seen problems

Yes, connection to MQTT broker via hostname is working, but through DNS. Make sure your router’s DNS server is working correctly. It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure luma’s code includes the mDNS library as well.

I have a static reference to my dynamic DNS name set in my DNS server’s table so if I have any devices on network that request it, they get pointed directly to the proper device… and if the same devices are taken off network, they can still reach back in through the internet without me making any changes. EDIT: But this isn’t really related to the SwitchPlate… got off topic!

may be i am behind on firmware can you tell what firmware are you running i am running
HASP Version: 0.29

You’re right - but I also tried that - did not work:(. Should I not have backlight on the display, if I start all over? I deleted the HASS configuration - erased the flash and flashed the esp like new again. Is it necessary to setup Hass before powering the D1 on or is it possible to set up the D1 mini - connect it and then make the HASS config afterwards?

The backlight state is actually saved on the panel itself. If you re-flash the panel (via SD card or via HASP) it might default back to being turned on.

Understand that the display is pretty dumb - everything that happens on the panel happens as a result of Home Assistant (or some other thing) sending an MQTT message to change what appears on the display. So, if you press a button, the display sends an MQTT message that the button was pressed. If you want something to happen in response, you need to setup an automation in Home Assistant to pick up that MQTT message and do the thing. If you want the button to appear like it’s been pressed in (like a toggle), you need to send a message back to the display to change the background and foreground color of the button. See the example toggle buttons on page 3 to get an idea of how that might be done.

Hi Luma. Just got it to work yay:D This is very strange - I reflashed all the devices - D1 mini screen and so on - nothing helped BUT - I then published the dimmer command via MQTT before putting it into HASS and BOOM the light went on:) Strange that a reflash of the screen did not fixed this hmmm. BTW do you know, how the lcd´s flash storage can be totally deleted - just for my interest :slight_smile:

Figured it out!
Again thanks for such an essential component to an automated home!

Cheers!

@luma Hi again. Sorry for asking you all the time. BUT I got the display almost set up to run the media player with my Sonos sound system. I just have one problem, and that is with the volume slider. When I turn the volume up on HASP the slider just goes back to zero over and over again. I tried to divide the state sensor by 100 in the yaml file instead of the multiply. Now the slider sits where I position it, but it doesn’t sync so good with the other volume sliders on the system - for example in the Sonos app on my Phone - the volume slider in the media player in the frontend. The other problem is also a lot of errors in the log file

Should I set it up differently?

I give you a picture of the way I set it up (a little different from yours).

Can you help?

Please don’t post photos of text files. Copy and paste has been around a while now.

2 Likes

Yeah the orginal developer of the PubSub Client is Nick Olleary - he is also the lead developer on Node-red !!!

Nearly all of his time is taken up with Node-red now - he did mention on the NR forums the other day that he needed to get back to PubSub - but really i do not think he is going to be able to do so in any sort of timeframe - as they have an aggresive development schedule for NR

Craig

1 Like

Hot Dog Stand hadn’t crossed my mind for DECADES, Thanks for the flashback! :smiley:

1 Like

Would it be possible to implement some kind of nice climate control interface in the ha switchplate?

Recently my HAS Plates have stopped working. The display reads:

WiFi Connected:
IP Address
MQTT Connected:
IP of HASSIO

Here is the MQTT log:

INFO] Setup mosquitto configuration
[WARN] SSL not enabled - No valid certs found!
[INFO] Found local users inside config
[INFO] Initialize Hass.io Add-on services
[INFO] Initialize Home Assistant discovery
[INFO] Start Mosquitto daemon
1541783549: mosquitto version 1.4.15 (build date 2018-03-04 15:14:46+0000) starting
1541783549: Config loaded from /etc/mosquitto.conf.
1541783549: *** auth-plug: startup
1541783549: ** Configured order: http

1541783549: Opening ipv4 listen socket on port 1883.
1541783549: Opening ipv6 listen socket on port 1883.
1541783549: Opening websockets listen socket on port 1884.
1541783549: Warning: Mosquitto should not be run as root/administrator.
1541783559: New connection from 192.168.1.9 on port 1883.
1541783559: New connection from 192.168.1.34 on port 1883.
[INFO] found has on local database
1541783559: New client connected from 192.168.1.9 as plate01-68c63aca83b4 (c1, k5, u'has').
[INFO] found has on local database
1541783559: New client connected from 192.168.1.34 as plate02-382b783ecfd (c1, k5, u'has').
Refresh

It sure would! I think it’s important to understand that this project is intended for you to customize it. I have provided some examples to demonstrate what’s possible, but that’s just a starting point. You’ll need a strong understanding of Hass automations and the Nextion command set + editor, but with that in hand you can create your own interfaces to suit your own needs!

1 Like

Can you change pages? Are you able to interact with the device by sending MQTT commands?

Nope - that was my first thought also.

Do you see MQTT messages on the device topics when it connects? Can you dump a log of messages under hasp/plate01/# as it connects?