HACS add-on to Official Integration page

Seriously what technical ability do you think is needed. Literally:

none of this a requires technical ability. Following instructions does not require technical ability. Writing software and writing easy to follow instructions requires technical ability.

Hmmm. Ok I guess word technical maybe the point of confusion or misrepresentation.

I just thought saving time, less clicks and something that are more routine/habitual would make thing more appealing to wider audience.

So it is more of laziness in me and general public but I believe home automation is largely born from that.

If one can do it with check, click as we are used to with iOS or Android apps, I think home Assistant HACS will feel more natural.

If one is used to installing things from GitHub repositories before the time of HACS, it makes the work far easier because it is now essentially just clicks and minimal credential info entry. So why wouldn’t that convenience apply all the way throughout the process? Do you think most prefer installing individual integrations via command line from repositories?

If installation of integrations are made into clicks with ease, why not installation of HACS itself?

@Mugen

I think what you are missing is this:

the only way you could ever get a point-and-click solution to installing HACS is to have the base code for HACS recognized internally to HA itself. That’s the way all integrations work - even the official built-in integrations. A person (a HA dev in the case of official integrations) has to manually add the base code into the project for the HA system to see that it exists and then allows it to set up the UI.

If the developer of HACS doesn’t want it in the project as a built-in integration then somebody has to put the base code into a place where HA will find it and set up the UI for it.

In this case that somebody is the user who wants to use HACS. And it’s the same for any custom integration that you want to run that isn’t supported by HACS. You have to start by manually adding the base code so that HA knows what to even do to make it run in the first place.

It can’t work any other way.

1 Like

The other advantage of the present system is that HACS updates more often than home assistant. The way it is now the updates are independent.

Thank you all for nice discussion. If developer of the HACS do not want it, I know it won’t happen, but I just wanted to raise one user’s voice here. :grin:

More I use Home Assistant, more I liking it. I’m fairly certain this is the Home Automation platform I want to use now.

1 Like