Hardware and basics for Home Assistant

Have just started to update myself on Home Assistant and installed Home Assistant on my NAS. My NAS is a computer running Fedora 25 with an Amahi Server.

I have installed Home Assistant with Hass.io. After some reading on the forums I found that I might be better of with Docker, so that’s my next project.

Today I have a Sonos system, a couple of Google Home devices and a Sensio system that I would like to integrate in the Home Assistant. But now I am looking for more “hardware” (Smartplugs, motion sensors, cameras and perhaps Zigbee server?). Can’t find a good tutorial about what I need, and what is recommended. Anyone have links to some good literature, or any tips to share?

Quite a newbee on the subject, so do I need a zigbee switch? Should I look for Zigbee equipment? Seems like a lot of the smart plugs are based on Z-wave or Wifi communication. Do I then need a switch for each protocol?

And do you have any favorite websites for equipment? Live in Norway, but are looking at both national and international websites :blush:

Do hope for you have some experiences to share.