Hass IO in a Virtual Machine

That thread gave the link to Github - which lists a number of issues (most recent as of 10 days ago with the same non booting problems)

Changed the BIOS type to EFI and removed the CD ROM - seems to have gotten one step further

Will let it sit there for the next 1.2 hour or so and see if it progresses in its boot

Craig

Yeah - the conversion is to simply bring it upto the Workstation 14/ESXI disk format - not needed as VMFS.3 is fine still.

Working my way through it now

Craig

I am actually trying to set it up iniitally on Workstation 14.13 under Windows 10 and will then move it across to my cluster once operational - i have setup the system the same as you have listed (tried both NAT and Bridged networking)

Nothing yet

Craig

Yeah, I removed the CDROM several hours ago and tried a few different storage controllers. I let it sit for about an hour an nothing. I was planning on trying it in Workstation when I got home from work, sounds like same issue there. I might try in oraclebox (whatever their hypervisor is called).

Think you are right though, think its a bad vmdk.

This might help, I have not had time to go through it yet.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1308264

Nah that looks like Kernel 3.x issues - we are dealing with Version 4.

Mine is sitting at

This is with the following settings in Vmware Workstation 14.13
VM Machine type - Linux (Other) 64-bit - Kernel 4.x
1 processors - two cores
2GB RAM
IDE hard disk type (on LSI controller)
removed CD ROM
Bridged networking

OK we are all going to feel pretty stupid here (although it is an easy mistake to make)

Have a look at my last screen shot - after you have left it there for a couple of minutes - give the VM focus and then hit enter on your keyboard - the Login screen pops up !!!

I have found a OVA file and put it on here for others to use - only thing you need to do is edit it for the name of the disk image you are downloading.

I will shortly test it pulling the disk image down from Github (which is what a OVA should do)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Generated by VMware ovftool 4.3.0 (build-7948156), UTC time: 2018-07-22T04:01:33.443599Z-->
<Envelope vmw:buildId="build-7948156" xmlns="http://schemas.dmtf.org/ovf/envelope/1" xmlns:cim="http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/common" xmlns:ovf="http://schemas.dmtf.org/ovf/envelope/1" xmlns:rasd="http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/cim-schema/2/CIM_ResourceAllocationSettingData" xmlns:vmw="http://www.vmware.com/schema/ovf" xmlns:vssd="http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wscim/1/cim-schema/2/CIM_VirtualSystemSettingData" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <References>
    <File ovf:href="hassos_ova-1.12.vmdk" ovf:id="file1" ovf:size="132748800"/>
  </References>
  <DiskSection>
    <Info>Virtual disk information</Info>
    <Disk ovf:capacity="6" ovf:capacityAllocationUnits="byte * 2^30" ovf:diskId="vmdisk1" ovf:fileRef="file1" ovf:format="http://www.vmware.com/interfaces/specifications/vmdk.html#streamOptimized" ovf:populatedSize="270336000"/>
  </DiskSection>
  <NetworkSection>
    <Info>The list of logical networks</Info>
    <Network ovf:name="nat">
      <Description>The nat network</Description>
    </Network>
  </NetworkSection>
  <VirtualSystem ovf:id="vm">
    <Info>A virtual machine</Info>
    <Name>HassOS 1.8</Name>
    <OperatingSystemSection ovf:id="102" vmw:osType="otherGuest64">
      <Info>The kind of installed guest operating system</Info>
    </OperatingSystemSection>
    <VirtualHardwareSection>
      <Info>Virtual hardware requirements</Info>
      <System>
        <vssd:ElementName>Virtual Hardware Family</vssd:ElementName>
        <vssd:InstanceID>0</vssd:InstanceID>
        <vssd:VirtualSystemIdentifier>HassOS 1.8</vssd:VirtualSystemIdentifier>
        <vssd:VirtualSystemType>vmx-14</vssd:VirtualSystemType>
      </System>
      <Item>
        <rasd:AllocationUnits>hertz * 10^6</rasd:AllocationUnits>
        <rasd:Description>Number of Virtual CPUs</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>2 virtual CPU(s)</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>1</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceType>3</rasd:ResourceType>
        <rasd:VirtualQuantity>2</rasd:VirtualQuantity>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <rasd:AllocationUnits>byte * 2^20</rasd:AllocationUnits>
        <rasd:Description>Memory Size</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>2048MB of memory</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>2</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceType>4</rasd:ResourceType>
        <rasd:VirtualQuantity>2048</rasd:VirtualQuantity>
      </Item>
      <Item ovf:required="false">
        <rasd:Address>0</rasd:Address>
        <rasd:Description>USB Controller (EHCI)</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>usb</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>3</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.usb.ehci</rasd:ResourceSubType>
        <rasd:ResourceType>23</rasd:ResourceType>
        <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="ehciEnabled" vmw:value="true"/>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <rasd:Address>1</rasd:Address>
        <rasd:Description>IDE Controller</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>ideController1</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>4</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceType>5</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <rasd:Address>0</rasd:Address>
        <rasd:Description>IDE Controller</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>ideController0</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>5</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceType>5</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <rasd:AddressOnParent>0</rasd:AddressOnParent>
        <rasd:ElementName>disk0</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:HostResource>ovf:/disk/vmdisk1</rasd:HostResource>
        <rasd:InstanceID>6</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:Parent>5</rasd:Parent>
        <rasd:ResourceType>17</rasd:ResourceType>
        <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="connectable.allowGuestControl" vmw:value="false"/>
      </Item>
        <rasd:AddressOnParent>0</rasd:AddressOnParent>
        <rasd:AutomaticAllocation>false</rasd:AutomaticAllocation>
        <rasd:ElementName>cdrom0</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>7</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:Parent>4</rasd:Parent>
        <rasd:ResourceType>15</rasd:ResourceType>
        <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="connectable.allowGuestControl" vmw:value="true"/>
      </Item>
      <Item>
        <rasd:AddressOnParent>1</rasd:AddressOnParent>
        <rasd:AutomaticAllocation>true</rasd:AutomaticAllocation>
        <rasd:Connection>nat</rasd:Connection>
        <rasd:Description>E1000 ethernet adapter on &quot;nat&quot;</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>ethernet0</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>8</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceSubType>E1000</rasd:ResourceSubType>
        <rasd:ResourceType>10</rasd:ResourceType>
        <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="wakeOnLanEnabled" vmw:value="true"/>
        <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="connectable.allowGuestControl" vmw:value="true"/>
      </Item>
        <rasd:ElementName>video</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>9</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceType>24</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>
        <rasd:ElementName>vmci</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>10</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceSubType>vmware.vmci</rasd:ResourceSubType>
        <rasd:ResourceType>1</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>
      <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="firmware" vmw:value="efi"/>
      <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="tools.syncTimeWithHost" vmw:value="false"/>
      <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="tools.afterPowerOn" vmw:value="true"/>
      <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="tools.afterResume" vmw:value="true"/>
      <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="tools.beforeGuestShutdown" vmw:value="true"/>
      <vmw:Config ovf:required="false" vmw:key="tools.beforeGuestStandby" vmw:value="true"/>
      <vmw:ExtraConfig ovf:required="false" vmw:key="virtualHW.productCompatibility" vmw:value="hosted"/>
    </VirtualHardwareSection>
    <AnnotationSection ovf:required="false">
      <Info>A human-readable annotation</Info>
      <Annotation>Hass.io OS based on buildroot. It&apos;s a hypervisor for Docker and supports various kind of IoT hardware. It is also available as virtual appliance. The whole system is optimized for embedded system and security. You can update the system simple with OTA updates or offline updates.</Annotation>
    </AnnotationSection>
  </VirtualSystem>
</Envelope>

Craig

Lol, so you’ve been trying to fix something that was up and running fine then, if only you’d tried sticking the IP in a browser :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you got there in the end.

Using VMware Workstation you can use these steps: https://www.ivobeerens.nl/2019/01/15/install-home-assistant-hass-io-in-vmware-workstation/

I followed this instructions and it was working for me:

Anybody try this with an Aeotec Z-Stick? Wondering if usb-passthrough works and I can make the switch, or if I’m heading into uncharted waters … :stuck_out_tongue:

I have HA working in a VM running on ESXi, and use the Aoetch Z-Stick just fine. It’s plugged into the server and passed to the VM.

Newbie question: I have just installed Hass IO on an Oracle VM box under Windows. When I try to install Configurator or Samba, I get this error (likely related to my firewall/router). Any suggestions?
[hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/amd64-addon-configurator:2 -> 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (“Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on 192.168.168.168:53: read udp 192.168.168.210:55040->192.168.168.168:53: i/o timeout”).

This isn’t the full story either.

I’m running esxi 6.7 and connecting the vmdk etc wasn’t enough to get it running.

When booting, press enter to get a login prompt.
Username: root
Password:

Nothing in the hassio-cli was working for me, so i went to the host by using the login command. Then ip a to get see all the ip addresses. Network manager with nmcli also works. Those 172.30.x.x addresses are all docker related. What i noticed was that i didn’t spot the machine’s mac address anywhere, thus no connectivity. I had to shut it and set the driver from vmxnet3 to e1000 to get it to work.

I’m still getting errors though where it seems that there is some connection issue to the docker containers. Gonna be looking for the solution to that for a little while longer.

EDIT: Turns out that the supervisor container was running, but it has issues connecting. This was visible under journalctl -fu hassos-supervisor.
I forgot to allow traffic for the vlan in my firewall.

1 Like

There is a guide here:

It is for proxmox though

I’m actually on ESXi 6.5 on a i3-8190 Intel NUC and I was thinking to give it a try to Proxmox.

Mainly because of the limitation of the free version of ESXi ( I would like to connect to an UPS and it seems it’s not managed in this free version).

Anyone who have experience on Proxmox and Hassio or HA?

i got hassio on virtualbox, work fine, but i found out some things like, xiaomi aqara, stops working after some time, and my broadlink mp1, fails, i found out that is a problem with multicast

Sorry this is a little off topic but you do not need to have the UPS managed by ESXI. I have the UPS contact a VM by running the APC UPS Daemon Monitor. For the shutdown, I have the same VM contact my ESXI Servers via RSA private/public key to proceed with the halt command.

I have to say that I find it a little strange that you would attempt to run Hass IO on a VM but I do understand the pain of installing Home Assistant on a Linux Distro (Centos 7). Not that easy, I am barely keeping my head out of the water but it could also be because I am new at this.

1 Like

Did you finally confirm issues with Aqara gateway are related to the VM? I’m also experiencing problems and I’m running on a VM

Any solution?

Hi, no solution so far, keep looking for information