Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

My supervisor container is still crashing and goes into a loop every day. I don’t have much insight in the logs as it gets deleted and recreated in matter of seconds.I have to restart the whole NAS in order to get it back

Is there a fix for this? I’m sorry if I missed the obvious but the thread is very long. The solution proposed at the very beginning to restart just the Hassio service doesn’t seem to help.
Found some logs

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/synology_dsm/init.py”, line 160, in update
await self._hass.async_add_executor_job(self._dsm.update)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/synology_dsm/synology_dsm.py”, line 261, in update
data = self.get(SynoCoreUtilization.API_KEY, “get”)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/synology_dsm/synology_dsm.py”, line 169, in get
return self._request(“GET”, api, method, params, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/synology_dsm/synology_dsm.py”, line 227, in _request
raise SynologyDSMAPIErrorException(api, response[“error”][“code”])
synology_dsm.exceptions.SynologyDSMAPIErrorException:
Code: 1052
Reason: Unknown
2020-05-03 10:59:33 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] Client error on /homeassistant/info request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:None [Connect call failed (‘172.30.32.2’, 80)]
2020-05-03 10:59:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Can’t read last version:
2020-05-03 11:12:19 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2020-05-03 11:14:06 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.http] Client error on api app/entrypoint.js request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:None [Connect call failed (‘172.30.32.2’, 80)]

The errors that pertain to the HACS are not making the system to crash because The system crashed without them

Thank you

Is your Synology Firewall perhaps enabled?

Nope ! FW is disabled! The only thing that I “think” can maybe affect it is the PieHole But I whitelisted the hass.io.
Are there maybe any FW rules that I need to be aware of? That need to be done on the router

Hey folks,

I’ve just switched to hass.io on Synology (DS 216+) from regular docker installation on SBC and everything works fine for me except one thing.

Every 5 minute Supervisor tries to connect to HA and fails, this is what it logs:

20-05-05 10:25:57 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.auth] Can’t request auth on Home Assistant!

While in HA in logs I’ve got:
2020-05-05 10:25:57 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http.ban] Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from 172.30.32.2

Does anyone know why it fails and how to fix it? It’s fresh install…

I was getting the exact same error and have been for quite some time. Your post prompted me to try and fix it. Are you using Node Red? If yes this might help, it fixed it for me: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/node-red-and-172-30-32-1/142390/4?u=eoin

Ok I think I found an issue. Since I was moving some services as part of the migration from docker based stuff to hass.io I think my MQTT devices are causing HA and Supervisor to log this stuff in a weird manner.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/new-install-login-attempt-or-request-with-invalid-authentication-from-172-30-32-2-supervisor-auth

Thans for your great job!
I believe that this is the best choice to run homeassistant on Synology!
My journey of homeassistant, for reference:

• home-assistant (now called core) on Ubuntu (vmware on Windows 10 on a notebook)
  • home-assistant on RaspberryPi 3B+
  • home-assistant on docker of Synology
  • hassio on vmm of Synology
  • hassio on docker of Synology. the cpu load is less than vmm, about 10% vs 5%
1 Like

@fredrike does this affect hass.io package somehow? https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/05/09/deprecating-home-assistant-supervised-on-generic-linux/

3 Likes

What is the best way to reboot this? The Server Controls menu doesn’t work as items that require a restart still request it. The only way I’ve been able to get this to work is by manually rebooting the docker containers.

Well, it would still work but be unsupported by HA. As people probably have noticed there is no reference to Home Assistant Supervised on Synology on the install instructions. That is because this method mentioned here is just that, unsupported. I’ve spent countless hours building the package and making sure it runs as smooth as possible but…

I think this is quite true:

Installing is fine, everyone can follow a tutorial, but after that when things break, people come to us, not the author of the tutorial. And this workload keeps growing, to a problematic extent.

But what we have seen over the last few months in this thread is more and more like:

@fredrike: this * integration/special setup doesn’t work, fix it!

Not a community effort in helping out or debugging the issues, just high expectations on fixing stuff.
Wich have made me lose faith and interest in this, I built it to help you guys, but don’t quite feel the love…

7 Likes

My setup on Synology works like a charm quite long ago (at least happy a year) without any issues. I tried different configurations, and this configuration is the best for me. It is the most convenient way to setup HA without additional hardware, and to manage different addons without special knowledge and efforts how to integrate them.
So I love. Hopefully, there are quite a lot of us.

4 Likes

I’ve gone from RPi to docker on Synology to docker on Mac mini to this outstanding Hass.io on Synology.

It’s by far the best solution. Love it!

Thank you for your time and expertise.

5 Likes

Dear @fredrike,
yesterday I was kind of shocked to read HA is moving away from Linux generic install (which I guess your great package is built on). In the meantime they are reconsidering their decission.
Reading that you already walked away from your DSM package is no less shocking as this reinforces the point the HA crew yesterday made: the growing ingratitude and lack of respect of (some|many?) users to the ones that make great software (for free!) and contribute to the concept of open source.
In the internet it is mostly the bad things that are brought up. There is less attention for the good. So I want to raise my voice for the good things!
I want to commend you and appreciate your hard work! And I hope, that you may change your mind eventually and keep providing us this totally hassle free experience installing HA supervised on our diskstations.
Thanks much!

6 Likes

Hi,

Just installed the package and seems something is wrong.
I was able after install to access Home assistant on the port 8123 and do the setup (works fine, it also detect my devices)
After the setup from the dashboard I try to access the supervisor and … and got the classic error already mentionned here.

I try to apply the process written on this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GvOX4zTPJinXNJ4WqtHcQUSiQ0HVdRMg2tHVkmJh60k/edit#

It’s not working and even worst now, I also cannot access anymore home assistant.

Here is what I try to fix the issue, and not working:

• follow process on https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GvOX4zTPJinXNJ4WqtHcQUSiQ0HVdRMg2tHVkmJh60k/edit#
  • stop all containers, restart them one by one
  • stop all containers, clear them and restant them
  • start stop the package, remove containers, restart the package
  • uninstall the package, clear everything and restart DSM, reinstall the package -> same error, same problem if I try to stop/restart package nothing accessible anymore

More input to debug:

• seems the container of supervisor enter in a loop of error (stop/restarting loop)
    Keep showing:
    20-05-11 18:08:11 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.bootstrap] Can't find Docker socket! + after a long error stack from python.

I have also several errors related to connections on the container of homeassistant:
2020-05-11 20:07:07 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.handler] Client error on /ingress/panels request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:None [Connect call failed ('172.30.32.2', 80)]

If anyone have an idea how to fix all these issues?

For the moment, I’m going to uninstall this package and all the docker containers, etc … because if I keep them its and endless loop of restart …

Hello,
Could someone tell me if you can update hassio? I installed the packages a while ago and I’m in version 0.107 but I don’t know if I have to stay in this.

Thx!

Yes - you just go to the Supervisor tab and update from there. It’s a really great package.

2 Likes

It’s so sad to hear all this. I was testing the package and planned to move my production HA instance to it in the next days and what a surprise :frowning:
I think the package is great and I already said it a couple of times so far. It makes my dream to have hass.io running on Synology come true. Without it we only have HA Core which lacks so many cool things e.g. as painless addons management, upgrades, full docker container restart control etc. It all is possible with this DSM package. I’m really hoping you won’t quit it.
That is true, that some people just don’t appreciate others work. I know that, but I think the majority does. It’s the “bad” voices, who shout louder and more often I think. Only that.
Keep up the great work and don’t bother the ones who don’t appreciate it.

3 Likes

I’m not planning to stop working on this :slight_smile: , but it would certainly help if it were more of a community effort with the support issues.
I mean, we had some issues when the Audio container was introduced, I built a temporary solution (but couldn’t really test it as I never had the issue). And then never heard back if the “new” package was needed or what happened.
There seems to be some issues with the Multicast container (I can’t get it to start on my installation). Where this might be a solution, but I really don’t know as it might break Synology’s internal packages (that requires all Docker networks to be created via the Docker UI):

And then we have the usual,

Where no one answers (but on the other hand, have @MLKiiwy really read the first two posts).

So, for hass-supervisor to work flawlessly on Synology we need to work as a community and be structured about what is issues that needs fixing (on the Synology side) and what is just “PEBCAK”. I might set up a github page with wiki and issue tracker so we could keep things there (but again, as a team effort).

2 Likes

That’s good to hear!
As someone who installed your package just before it hit the Synology repository (early this year) I had very little problems with it. Therefore as a satisfied user didn’t post here.
I think now is the time to say that there are a lot of very satisfied users running your package without problems or who are able to solve the glitches by themselves (restart the dockers). So from me and I guess all those other users not regulary visiting here; thanks very much for your great work, highly appreciated.

I’m just a dumb user and have not much knowledge of the backgrounds of the system therefore giving help to these users is not possible for me. Will see if I can do something with the documentation of common problems/answers.

4 Likes

Like so many I just want to say thank you @fredrike and I apologies for not saying that before this point! I would be curious to see some stats on the environments HA is installed on, I suspect Synology makes up a reasonable number and in no small way that’s down to you! Certainly, I’m seeing increased posts in the forum where Synology is mentioned.

I’ve been using this package for give or take a year now, overall, with no serious issues. On the occasions I have ran into issues through reading this thread of directly asking a question I’ve found the answers.

While there are very few technical issues asked in this thread I could answer, you do make a good point and I need to try and jump in more. Again, thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes