Hass.io Timeout issues using Mesh Network

Hey friends,

I ran into an interesting issue that I wanted to share and ask the community. I recently upgraded my WIFI network to Eero. I ended up moving my RPI3 to another room, and connected it to one of the extenders. Right after doing so, I ended up getting hundreds of timeouts on my Hass.io log, all related to my broadlink switches. These timeouts ended up slowing down HA horribly, causing automations and scripts to be very very slow, and often not executing.

I wanted to share this because I spent endless hours trying to debug this issue. After some research on the forum, I was thinking it was the SD card, or the power supply, or perhaps the RPI3 itself. But it was just that it was connected to an extender, and not the main router.

Has anyone witnessed this before? Does anyone know why this would happen? I had to move my RPI3 to the main router in order to fix this issue.

Thanks!
Panboy

Wi-Fi by its very nature is unpredictable and not always reliable. Even if you plugged your pi into the access point via Ethernet the access point is still using Wi-Fi to communicate with the main router. That’s my guess. Interesting that it had such a dramatic effect though.

Always better to use a proper Ethernet connection for anything acting as a server.

Since latest hass version I also suffer some freeze and timeouts in automations…can’t figure out why I also updated supervisor to 193 and I have the feeling it started with this new supervisor version. Nothing in logs …using docker hassio

My Intel nuc is connected via 1000mbit lan to the router. So that’s no connection issue

I just set up a mesh network using two Asus RT-AC86U routers. My Pi3 is connected via ethernet to the extender router.

I used to get the ‘10 seconds’ warning for a couple of components when the Pi was connected to my main router, but now I seem to be getting way more:

I really don’t have the option to plug into the main router now though, so I guess as everything is working, I just need to ignore these errors???

2020-01-19 08:25:03 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_select is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of google is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_datetime is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of input_boolean is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of asuswrt is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:04 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of variable is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:06 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of group is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:07 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of person is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:16 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Setup of sensor platform darksky is taking over 10 seconds.
2020-01-19 08:25:16 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.calendar] Setup of calendar platform google is taking over 10 seconds.

What kind of mesh? Are the routers connected by Ethernet or WiFi?

WiFi unfortunately. The locations kinda dictate that though as there is no real way to run cables without considerable disruption.

I just read the errors… I get similar errors… even for default_config… I don’t think you can do much about that. Everything still works right?

Correct - seems to anyhew!