HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Thats it!! i used the 32 bit, but Erik is right, now i used the 64 bit rpi4 version.

But you will not have the full speed with this. UAS is what really brings speed. Sad it is not working.

Speed was never a issue with SD for me, if you use decent SD cards.
The real problem is that plugings like FluxDB or MariaDB are not best fit for running off SD, because of the wear and tear and possibile corruption on SD cards.

Running of SSD for that purpose only is already a surplus for me.
You will still get very good speeds on the USB 3.0 but not the maximum as possible as specified in the specs.
It is always a bargain between speed and reliability and in in my case i have found the right balance.

I have quirks enabled on my SSD enclosure and still get very good speeds with UAS disabled. Pi4 4GB running supervised.

Is there an up-to-date guide on how to move your Raspberry Pi 4 from SD card to SSD?

1 Like

I did it today.
Copy all files from SD card to any computer HD:
files
Download and using balenaEtcher burn Raspberry Pi OS to new SD card.
Boot PI 4 from new SD card.
Use following to prepare PI4 to boot from USB: How to Boot Raspberry Pi 4 From a USB SSD
Stop on Step 7.
Download HassOS 5.0 for PI4 64 bit.
Use balenaEtcher to burn image “HassOS 5.0” to SSD drive.
Turn off PI, remove SD card connect SSD.
Turn PI on.
Navigate to http://PI4_IP_Address:8123
Wait for setup to finish.
After about 5 min it’s done.
Copy all files back to PI4 shared folders.

PS. Very strange but after about hour I see Update for Operating System 4.11 on Supervisor:

1 Like

Yeah don’t install that of course. 5.0 is a beta build. 5.x won’t show in the default ui as an update until it is a release.

I want to use 64 bit image.

Why don‘t you use a snapshot to restore the old system?

1 Like

If you flashed the pi4 64bit image, then you are already there. Just don’t hit the update button in the ui until it shows a 5.X release for the update (likely won’t be long before that happens).

Also, I agree with @carsten_h. The accepted method is to restore from a snapshot. Just be sure you update your addons and disable your database(s) before taking a snapshot.

1 Like

My old HA has been run on Laptop, Ubuntu, Docker and it not HassOS. Also it was 32 bit.

@Vlad followed your exact process and I can’t get to the setup screen. It shows up on my router as homeassistant and I try the IP but it doesn’t connect. Very frustrating day… any ideas???

Maybe not good USB adapter.
I’m using Plugable USB C to M.2 NVMe Tool-free Enclosure USB C and Thunderbolt 3 + Kingston 250GB A2000 M.2 2280 Nvme Internal SSD PCIe Up to 2000MB/S

@Vlad hmm I was able to get Raspbian running on the SSD this morning and setup HASS manually, so not the hardware. However I want to retain the Hass.io style management.

You mentioned to stop at Step 7 of the TH guide - did you complete step 7 or complete step 6 and stop?

Just do 6 steps and stop

Did you update the eeprom of the raspberry pi 4? You need one of the latest versions to support boot from usb, and be sure that BOOT_ORDER include that. In my case I updated the eeprom but the BOOT_ORDER was pointing only to the sd card. I needed some time to figure it…

@McGiverGim Yes I just did update the EEPROM, running July 16 version. I also checked BOOT_ORDER, it’s 0xf41, which means SD card, USB mass storage, then reboot to my understanding.

Banging my head against the wall on this one. My SD card died, and now can’t get this to work for the life of me. My other SD card is also basically dead. Thankfully I have backups but I’m tired of kiling SD cards… I’m on number 4 in 2 years.

Only problems I can think:

• You not have installed the 64 bit version of Hassio, by error installed 32 bit version
  • Your SSD needs the quirk configuration. Did you add it? Until the moment it usually appeared as unstable after some hours, but maybe depends on the SSD.

@McGiverGim I’ll give the quirks change a go. 100% have definitely installed 64-bit HassOS v5.0 on an RPi 4, 4GB.

Right now I have it hooked up to a monitor and it boots but I can’t get it to connect to the network by WiFi or Eth0. My monitor isn’t anywhere near the ethernet cable, so I can only try wifi + monitor or Eth0 and hope it connects, but the router isn’t showing it connected. So I’m trying to do the direct edit of the boot CONFIG/network to try to get it to at least connect to the network.

Annnnnd not it isn’t even booting from SD.

@McGiverGim hey, thanks for the help. I managed to get it booting and running on the USB 2.0 port after editing the my-network file directly in the boot partition. Simply could not get it to take on Eth0 or via FAT32 usb CONFIG method. This should do it!

Next step is to try using Quirks to get USB 3.0 working.