HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

HI! I cannot find any possible way to actually download the 5.0 version of HASS OS. Even when I join the beta channel everything that it offers me are some core updates. How did you manage to download it as a whole?

Check this out

Development 5 build 0

Development 5 build 1

ok which version do I download and use for the pi4?

I have 5.0 installed and running great
what are the steps to upgrade to 5.1

RPI4, 8GB, External SSD, HassOS 64bit

I used build 0 Development 5 build 0

i was not able to ssh into 22222 port so just plugged keyboard but now getting an another error

fdisk -l
shows its connected , sda1

deleted all partition using
fdisk /dev/sda1

after entering “datactl move /dev/sda1”
now it says “is not disk!”

documentation says no need to create partition

host_os - HassOS 4.12 (64 bit)
os_version - 4.19.127-v8
supervisor - 229

RPI 4 - 2 GB

A simple ssh command ha os update --version 5.1 must work, but it seems the raspberry pi 4 images are missing in the 5.1 version:

EDIT: It seems a known issue…

1 Like

Anyone solve the system locking up (freezing) problem? Before switching to this setup (SD card + SSD) I had my db on a separate server on the network and it was pretty rock solid except when that server went down, HA would lock up from continuing to try to communicate with the db. I switched to this setup expecting it to solve that problem. Now I get random lockups once every couple of weeks. It resolves itself with a hard reset (pulling the power and rebooting). I’m afraid that if this happens when I am away my HA alarm system will be compromised. @AndrejDelany @bbogdanmircea

I’m using a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO USB 3.1 SSD flash drive as my SSD, so no adapter. It does run a bit warm… so I thought maybe it was overheating, but now that I see others are having this issue… I’m thinking that its just this setup.

I couldn’t solve it, so I switched to a Intel NUC.

1 Like

I was able to get the current version running on a pi4. I flashed the install version but used the boot files from 5. Restored with a snapshot and was done. I was getting an error as it was still trying to read from the SD, but it didn’t seem to effect anything. I ran it for about 12 hours then went back to the SD. I’ll wait on HA or save it for when I have more time. SSD enclosure definitely makes a difference. I got nowhere with Orico. The working one was Inateck without UASP. I ordered one with UASP to give a try.

1 Like

The 5.1 release seems to have resolved some of the USB to NVMe compatibility issues. I had tried two different USB 3.0 UASP capable adapters (SSK’s SHE-C325 and Plugable’s USBC-NVME) and both wouldn’t boot with a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (MZ-V7E500BW) SSD. The Plugable adapter will now boot (though it acted weird at first…throwing a website 500 error as it lost the USB drive, then when I rebooted it to solve that issue, it said it was unable to find the USB SSD 60+ times before booting). The SSK device will still not boot. Stops at the “Read start4.elf” process.

I have had success installing 5.1 RPi4 ( 4GB ) 64bit on a standard Sandisk USB stick. It has been running for over 12 hours and my addons are working fine. I just did a restore of my current production snapshot. I could not get the 32 bit version to boot.

I have been running on a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro Solid State Flash Drive for a while now using Raspbian Buster and docker ( links below ) flawlessly for a couple of months, just make sure you are running the latest stable firmware for RPi4. These Flash Drives cost $64 AUD and are super fast. I just ordered another one for the HASS.IO build.

I have an EVO SSD that also works via docker but is overkill as the USB 3 connection limits the speed.

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/5.1/hassos_rpi4-64-5.1.img.gz

1 Like

I’m running the current version, but using the boot files from 5.1. it’s been running about 4 days now. No problems except it keeps timing out trying to find the SD card. I put the card back in and it stops. I’m sure I’m missing something. More reading needed.

From post 365 above, I think this is what you need

extra lines to the config.txt

1:
dtparam=sd_poll_once=on

This line makes disable the time-out messages for the SD card
1 Like

I’ made the jump to an SSD with the latest OS build 5.1. I’m avoiding the update button for OS but is there any reason i shouldn’t update the Core software?
I guess there is really no reason to do these updates as everything works as is…But for some reason i find those update buttons tempting!

Update to core are indepent regarding to underlying OS

I updated the core software from 0.113 to 0.114 a few days ago and everything is still fine. But never ever press the operating system Update button until build 5 is officially released.

just flashed this beta HA image to usb stick and no other modification ?
like kernel update etc ?

also can you share link of USB stick ?
how’s the performance ?
also previously you were using SD card only or SD card + usb stick ? (data from USB and boot via SD card)

Before flashing the 5.1 image you need to update your firmware, you can do this by following the guide from Tom’s Hardware. Stop using the guide after you have completed step 6.

An alternative guide for updating your firmware is https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-bootloader-firmware-updating-recovery-guide/

Once you have upgraded your firmware, remove your SD card, burn 5.1 onto an SSD or USB stick and boot.

The USB stick I am using for my Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite / Docker / Hassio build is a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro Solid State Flash Drive.

James Chambers also has a great list of speeds of various drives and cards

2 Likes