Hass.io with broadlink + google home mini

Hi all,

Very very new here to hass.io and the home assistant community. I have only just installed hass.io through raspberry pi 3 and added in samba share.

Require some help in setting up hass.io with my broadlink RM Pro (Using RM PRO 3 - is it supported?) and google home mini.
This is all that i would like to set up for now and my broadlink RM Pro controls my light, fan, tv and AC.

I have tried inputting the the broadlink in config file but i have nothing as i can’t get developer options to call service for broadlink.

This is my current config file for the broadlink portion: (anything wrong with it?)

switch:
-platform: broadlink
host: 192.168.1.231
mac: ‘XX:XX:XX:XX:XX’
switches:
room light:
friendly_name: light
command_on:
command_off:

i only removed XX for privacy sake.

Please do give some guidance as i am really new to this.
For samba share: how do i know that it has loaded the new config file to HA? All i did was to save my config file after editing and restart the samba share add on in HA.

This is what my config looks like: https://hastebin.com/ciwusarobu.scala

Half of my issues with config in home assistant has to do with improper spacing. Use http://www.yamllint.com/ to check for any errors.

Thanks, i tried copying yours in but i still can’t find the broadlink call service as it’s not appearing in my dev section.

How do i get the command on and command off portion and to show a ‘switch’ tile at my frontend page?

Thanks for helping

Have you checked your logs to see if there is a error?

i checked configuration validation and it says valid config!

Not sure what i am doing wrong here, do i have to install duckdns or other addons?

I have duckdns enabled, but I got broadlink to turn my switches on and off without it first. I would check the logs in the developer tools section, the most right option (info). You can also find in the config folder named home-assistant.log

I would also reserve the ip for the broadlink, in case your modem/router changes ip addresses to devices.

I found setting up broadlink pretty frustrating but its so worth it when you finally get it to work with google home.

so far i have this in log -

2018-01-13 13:01:25 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [switch.broadlink]: value is not allowed for dictionary value @ data[‘type’]. Got ‘rm3’. (See ?, line ?).

But that is cause i am using RM PRO 3 and i thought i should include that in type but i have removed the type in the config file.

Currently this is my config:

-   platform: broadlink
    host: 192.168.1.231
    mac: 'XX:XX:XX:XX:XX'
    timeout: 15
    switches:
      light:
       friendly_name: "Light"
       command_on: ''
       command_off: ''

As i am unable to get my command on and off due to not being able to see broadlink in the dev section of services, i just left it empty first.

I am not sure if RM PRO 3 is supported. Try putting rm or rm2 for type and see if that works.

nope, nothing so far…

What am i suppose to get/see if broadlink is linked? Should i see a switch tab in overview?
i do not even have the broadlink call service in the developer options though. not sure what am i missing or required to do. :frowning:

Please use code blocks when you post your config.

I have seen that the component doesn’t start if the command_on / off variable is empty. Try some fantasy code from the docs to see if that works.

Check the quotes in your config.

You should see the learn command service in the services tab, which allows you to learn the command code which you would put in the command_on and off part.

40 AM

The switch can be found in the overview page in the default view. You can also confirm you added the switch by looking in the states section in developer tools.

ok, thanks. just did it. should be easier to read now. Thanks for teaching something new haha

Hi, went out for dinner and a walk. Switched off power to my pi3 before i left and when it rebooted. the light switch is there.

Finally i can move on to the next phase of configuration. thanks a lot.
Was i supposed to restart the pi3 before the overview sees it? (What are the ways to know that samba saved and uploaded the new config file in the system?

Awesome, glad to hear its working! You need to restart home assistant before changes to config are updated. You can restart the server from the config page.

1 Like

Sad to say, sometimes the network is a bit unstable?
It often goes to

"
This site can’t be reached
hassio.local’s server IP address could not be found.
Search Google for hassio local 8123
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

"

Do you have any idea why? And i can’t get broadlink to learn the signal so far. have been finding youtube videos for it, can’t really find any tutorials to get it working for broadlink. so frustrating but i wish i could get this done. would be so awesome. Thanks for your help anyway :slight_smile:

I am not sure about the network instability, I can’t help you there because I never had that problem. I would ask on the forum or in the discord chat (people are usually quick to help there). discord.gg/c5DvZ4e

Learning the code from services can be bit unreliable. Try to restart home assistant, and learn the code right after.
If you have an android device you can try import the e-control remotes using the process described at the end of this page: https://home-assistant.io/components/switch.broadlink/

Keep at it, I’m sure you will figure it out!