Hassbian and Hassio, which is the difference

I have Hassbian, so I wondering, is Hassio inside Hassbian?? Cause I don’t see the hassio tab in my home assistant

HASS.IO is a DIFFERENT way of running Home Assistant. Hassbian is raspbian with a preloaded home assistant install. Hass.io is a completely different OS running home assistant in Docker. Different concept.

No, hassio is not inside hassbian.

So, with Hassbian is not posible to have the addons like Hassio? For example is not possible to install Google Assistant addon in Hassbian?

It is completely possible to have this. I had it before I got my new Pi and installed Hass.io. Just follow the instructions.

You can’t install them in the same way you do with HASS.io but you can certainly do the same things.

I was thinking he was referring to Google Actions for assistant…

How about Alexa integration with HassIO… I want to make sure I can do all my automation with Alexa and HassIO but now I don´t know after I read about the new Home Assistant Cloud for Alexa which you have to pay 5 bucks a month… I would like to know your thoghts on theese matters.

@clauserg

I see, the changes in the “cloud” component and the word Alexa have lead to fear and despair ;). Hopefully I can shed some light.

The breaking change in the blog entry of version 0.61, refers to the “cloud” component. This meas, If you are a user of the “cloud” component, you are effected by this change. Frankly I believe you are not, so this doesn’t effect you.

In other words, if you are a user of the “emulated_hue” component this change does not effect you.

You can transparently validate this by taking a look at: Releases · home-assistant/core · GitHub you can search for “emulated hue”, “cloud” and “alexa” and you will see, that for 0.61, no changes were applied to the emulated_hue component, but the “cloud” component. In particular Alexa to not use customize for entity config by balloob · Pull Request #11461 · home-assistant/core · GitHub is the breaking change, and it has only something to do with “cloud” component.

Of course, home assistant is not limited by HassIO, everything it was capable of doing, it can still do. In fact HassIOis just a different way of setting up home-assistant, but you get the same home-assistant.

Only If you want to use the cloud component and its totally optional. It aims at simplifying the setup, but it will not add exclusive features, and nobody will be forced to do so. I think baloob made very clear, why the cloud component will cost money and how this will help home-assistant. Introducing Home Assistant Cloud - Home Assistant

Thanks so much for your reply and information. I have not installed HasIO yet since I´m waiting for the Raspberry PI to arrive to my house so once I receive it I will try HassIO first and I will start to use HA from there.