Hassio not showing that an update is available

I have a Hassio that seems stuck at 0.62.1. It doesn’t show that there’s an update available. Is there a way to force Hassio to go out and check for updates? I’ve restarted several times but that doesn’t seem to do anything for it.

Here’s a bit more information. I’m seeing this error in my log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 180, in _step
    result = coro.send(None)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/updater.py", line 93, in check_new_version
    result = yield from get_newest_version(hass, huuid, include_components)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/updater.py", line 184, in get_newest_version
    res = yield from req.json()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/aiohttp/client_reqrep.py", line 795, in json
    headers=self.headers)
aiohttp.client_exceptions.ContentTypeError: 0, message='Attempt to decode JSON with unexpected mimetype: text/html;

I am having the very same issue.

In my case, it was a DNS problem. I run dnsmasq to provide dns services for my local network. I had redefined ‘ha’ in my /etc/hosts file. When hassio was trying to make the external connection to look for updates, it was somehow being redirected back to itself. Obviously, that wasn’t going to work. I don’t know your network setup but make sure you haven’t redefined something that might confuse hassio. Once I deleted that alias and restarted dnsmasq, it started working and has been working fine since.

I actually found it by flashing to a newer version. The initial boot process hung because hassio needed to go out and fetch a bunch of stuff. I turned on the Hassio debugging and found some errors in the log files that looked suspiciously like a DNS problem.

I do not think that was my issue the only thing I’m using custom for DNS is PiHole