HASSIO to multiple instances of NodeRed?

Hi,
I’ve got HASSIO installed on a Pi 3+ with the NodeRed integration running.
NodeRed frequently disconnects with an NGinx warning.

Thinking that it’s all a bit too much for the Pi3+ (I’ve a lot of devices and integrations in HASSIO, the CPU is often at 100% and the memory usage hovers at about 90%)
I’ve got an instance of NodeRed running on a spare Pi4 but can’t get it to talk to the Pi 3+.

The idea was to take NodeRed of the HASSIO device to reduce the workload for the Pi3.

Is there a restriction in HASSIO that will only allow it to talk to one instance of NodeRed at a time?
If so, should I remove NodeRed from HASSIO before attempting to sign up the Pi4 instance?

Thanks

No.

I would, but it doesn’t need to be.

Node red just uses the websockets to connect to home assistant.

Hi thanks for responding.

I have already tried to connect to HA (HASSIO) from another device through NodeRed but it rejects the connection. I did manage this once before when installing the ‘official’ NodeRed integration within HASSIO would not work. Since then, and after an update to HASSIO that appeared to fix the integration installation failure I’ve been using the Integration, but as I’ve added to NR, I’m finding that the machine HASSIO is running on is not up to it (Pi3+) and since I have a spare Pi4 4gb, I thought I’d just move the NR to the spare machine… But no joy.

Is there an easy way to move the entire HASSIO from the Pi3 to the Pi4 instead? I’ve tried moving the SD card but it (Predictably) refused to boot… Installing a new instance of HASSIO on the Pi4 and then importing the last full backup didn’t work either…

Think I’m stuck with HASSIO with it’s integrated Node Red running on the Pi3… ;(

With what error message?

Did you get a token for it? Did you make sure to NOT mark “I use Hassio”?

snapshots

You’re not, you just need to figure out what’s causing it to not connect.

Thanks for this, using your comments at bug finding steps: I’ve got it working, although not on the Pi4 as planned, I’ve installed Docker on my Synology NAS and added NodeRed to that. Unchecked the “I use HASSIO” and generated a fresh token. Works very well now, only problem is it’s not password protected and unlike the HASSIO integration, I can’t find anywhere to set a password with the NAS install.

you would need to manually add this capability utilizing Node Red’s documentation.
https://nodered.org/docs/user-guide/runtime/securing-node-red

You should have a settings.js file in your mounted volume that you can edit.

Amazing, thanks for this.
Took a bit of doing as the Synology Docker container neither allowed the install of Sudo or the password hashing tool, used another machine to hash the password and all good now.
Thanks again.

You don’t need sudo in a container that runs as root

Tried to install the node-red tool without and got a lot of failures during the install.
Just lucky that I had NR installed on another Pi and was able to use it’s cli to generate the hash :wink:

mainly that is due to the fact that running docker containers are not intended for you to install anything. That’s not related to sudo. If you are running something as root, sudo doesn’t mean anything.

My install is on a Synology NAS using the official Docker add on though the GUI. I access the terminal of the NR container using the Docker gui…
I have no idea what user account that route uses…?

///but bash gets very upset with just about any command… lol

I will bet that the container is running as root. Almost all docker containers do. It has nothing to do with how you access it.

This is because a running docker container does not contain all the tools of a full linux install. If you treat it as a VM, you are not grasping the concept of Docker.

It’s not intended for you to manage the container from the command line like that.

Understood, but getting elements like the NR CLI up and using tools like the password hash generator does become a little difficult; I’m sure there is a way, I’ve just not found it, probably lack of knowledge on my part rather than lack of facility on the part of the NAS running docker… lol

I did want to port HASSIO over to the NAS too, but the problems with NR has kinda put me off a bit… Even though HASSIO on a PI does still hide the underlying cli somewhat too! :wink: