Heiman CO (carbon monoxide) HS1CA-E/HS1CA_AV13 not working with cc2531 and ZHA

I got a Carbon Monoxide detector from Heiman, model HS1CA-E on the box and I opened it up and saw a HS1CA_AV13 on the pcb.

I’m running:

I was able to connect the device after some tries.
First with the Z-Stack 1.2 firmware, which didn’t recognize the device and barely managed to connect to it.
Then flashed the cc2531 to Z-Stack 3.0.x firmware since I found the device is Zigbee 3.0.

With Z3.0 I was able to connect the device, but it still doesn’t recognize the clusters properly as I can’t get a signal. The battery cluster doesn’t show any info and the detector cluster doesn’t update when I press the “test” button.

Has any one tried to integrate this detector with ZHA? Or know how I can integrate it properly?

Hi @BFonseca,
I’m considering having this one for myself as well. Any luck getting this working with HA?

Thanks

@BFonseca,
not sure if you got it all to work. As they are zigbee I got them to connect with my deConz Phoson. Both CO and smoke detectors connected nicely. No issues so far

Regards,
Ron

1 Like

I did not.
Meanwhile I changed to Zigbee2MQTT. It seems more stable and with more compatible devices.
At the moment there’s an issue with the Mosquitto Broker addon - version 5.1.1 has compatibility issues with Z2M but v5.1 works fine (here’s a workaround to install 5.1).

It connects properly on Z2M

and exposes clusters nicely as well

I highly recommend Z2M instead of ZHA. More devices, better interface, more stable and overall better experience.

EDIT: it might be possible to make it work with ZHA with external converts if you really want to. But it just seems unecessary work to me.

@nc1264 Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don’t have a Conbee so deConz isn’t an option for me, but glad to know it works there!

Hi @BFonseca,

I had the Conbee II running on MQTT. With your comment I tried to using Zigbee HomeAutomation. Can’t get it to work yet :slight_smile:
I guess there are many ways to Rome. I’m still struggling a bit on getting the CO and Smoke alarms to also connect to Telegram.

Regards,

Ron

Thanks for your insights guys!
I have a Conbee II (+ Deconz in HA) and was thinking on trying Z2M. Now I’ll definitely give it a go.

By the way, the Heiman CO Sensor reports also values or just “true / false” for CO?

Best,
Tiago

@nc1264
I’ve had a far less reliable experience with ZHA. It felt really clunky compared to Z2M.
Plus Z2M has a lot more compatible devices: https://zigbee.blakadder.com/

@nguedes
Yes, this sensor only reports true/false when a certain CO treshhold is met.
There’s no way of changing this as far as I know.

It probably needs custom quirk for zha-device-handlers → https://github.com/zigpy/zha-device-handlers

Reason why → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha/#zha-exception-and-deviation-handling

I ordered two of these, with the hopes in the past two years you folks have found a way to integrate them - any luck? I use ZHA right now. Thanks,