People counter passing through a door using VL53L0X or VL53L1X

@pepe59 I’m glad you find this code working good for you.

Yes, I have them separated by 6cm each other and I installed them into a door frame to count people that go in and out of my lab. It works very well.

Thank you very much. So far, I’m testing at the kitchen door on the shelf and I wanted to find out the distance from each other when I use other sensors in the door frame. Haven’t you looked at the VL53L1X sensor? Unfortunately, it does not yet have support in ESPhome, but it would also be an interesting solution.

yes. With that sensor you only need one since it can be setup by regions. Also if I don’t mistake it supports gestures. But as you said, it is not supported in ESPhome yet.

Gentlemen, this is not entirely true. It already works under esphome in beta and I have been testing it myself for about a month. So if you have these sensors, you can connect :slight_smile: Here’s everything, plus any discussion and discord support for this project.

1 Like

I have two of these sensors. I’ve been looking at it, I just need to understand how to install it all. What are the first findings, reliability, features? Thanks

Gentlemen, this is not entirely true. It already works under esphome in beta and I have been testing it myself for about a month. So if you have these sensors, you can connect :slight_smile: Here’s everything, plus any discussion and discord support for this project.

OMG! This is fantastic! It is like a late Christmas present!

Alexa! order VL53L1X sensor… Yes! Next day delivery please!

This is also great news for me. I have never installed my own component. You can share how you understand the installation or the procedure. I’ll wait until you have them and test them. I will be very grateful for any information because I am very interested. Thank you

Those are new grounds for me aswell. I’ll share my experience here afte.

It’s in development but I can already say that it works quite well. Much depends on the installation site. Mine is only on trial in the fur studio, and there are no ideal conditions, but 95% of seizures are OK anyway. Others who have it in better cities say they are without mistakes. If you connect to that discord, if you don’t have it I’ll send it. If I advise what I can.

would you please upload a sketch of wiring the parts?

I put the VL53L1X sensor into operation on both the esp32 and D1 mini 8266, it works perfectly.

Has anyone 3d printed any cases for the vl53l1x solution yet? I’m happy to look at that side of things if people can let me know how they plan on setting them up in a doorway.

and second question. For rooms with more than one door or even using them to count people inside the house using a sensor on both front and back doors, can anyone shed light on how to use 2 sensors to count a total both up and down assuming someone walks in the front then out the back door. Thanks!

@solomos I don’t have any diagram but you can wire it using the references posted here

@pepe59 I used it on and esp32 and its keeps dropping wifi connection after a random amount of time. does this happened to you as well?

I made a case to hold the ESP32 with its power supply and some sensors that fits in to the decora style wallplates, and for the sensor itself I made a case that goes inserted in to the door frame.

So I ran the wires inside the wall to the door frame for a seamless install.

I uploaded the STLs to Thingiverse here

4 Likes

For rooms with more than one door or even using them to count people inside the house using a sensor on both front and back doors, can anyone shed light on how to use 2 sensors to count a total both up and down assuming someone walks in the front then out the back door. Thanks!

You will need to create a Number entity in HA and make each sensor to increase or reduce that number accordingly.

1 Like

Yes, it happened to me too. I removed sensors such as distance measurement from the configuration that I did not need. I have extended the sensor update time and now it is 100% stable for several days.

Thank you for posting the box on esp32 looks good.
I have to wait for the printer. I’ll have it in March.

Did you extended this value?

roode:
  id: roode_platform
  i2c_address: 0x29
  update_interval: 10ms  <-----------------

if so, how much did you increased?

Yes, the documentation says that the default value is 100 ms, so I set this value.
The sensor is still stable. You can play with time and see how the sensor behaves.