HELP getting started with recognizing my 8266/55 (WEMOS) chips

IF I AM AM POSTING IN THE WRONG CATAGORY, PLEASE FORGIVE ME. I AM JUST BREAKING INTO hOME ASSIST AND THE ENDLESS CAPABILITIES. I FIGURE THAT I COULD ADD DEVICES ONE BY ONE, BUT SO FAR I CANNOT GET IT TO DETECT MY 8266 FOLLOWING CLOSELY THIS INSTRUCTION). I BELIEVE THERE IS A GAP SOMEWHERE AFTER IT ASKS U TO UPLOAD, BUT IIM SURE IM MISSING SOMETHING. IF THERE IS ANYONE THAT CAN HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE. ONE THING I AM CONFUSED ABOUT IS DO I CONNECT EACH DEVICE TO MY RASBERRY PI THAT I USE AS A SERVER, OR DO I USE THE USB ON THE COMPUTER THAT I USE TO ACCESS THE SERVER?

Please don’t shout.

What did you flash your wemos with ? Tasmota, EspHome, OpenMQTTGateway, custom script ?

Sorry bro, I neglected to mention that im using ESPHome. Sorry mate. Im using a Pi 3b+ as my server, although i do have a 4B+, but i havent had a chance to play around w/it so i usd the Pi3. I fjust want the easiest way to set everything up.If you can assist me i would appreciate it kindly\

What exactly do you want to do with the eps8266? Which esp do you have, Wemos d1 mini, NodeMCU…?

You can flash using 2 methods :

• attach the wemos to your RbPi, restart the esphome add-on, then you can flash from the add-on
  • attach te wemos to your local pc, compile in the esphome add-on, download the generated .bin to your pc, use a esp-flash tool to flash the .bin to your wemos.

Specifically it is an Espresif esp8266 (12E) with 4MB onboard mem. I could be mistaken (correct me if im wrong) most chips like this (even Wemos D1 Lite Chips with 1mb flash CAN run NodeMCU.

What do you mean “please dont shout”? Are you taking it that way because I used all CAPS? I had t switch out a keyboard with a stuck key. If you would have read the content you can clearly see that im a friend. Just because someone uses caps…come’on dude! Really? Listen to yourself. if i was tring to slight you, you couldve picked that up. I dont believe your that petty. I think your way to smart to lower yourself in that way…cool? Are we friends now?
So it took me awhile but i figured out that my devices need to be plugged into my server to download the OTA firmware. Ive done that but i keep failing at the end. If i sent you a screen shot can you take a look? Im sure youll be able to figure it out way faster than I can

If i were you, i’d just connect the esp8266 to the Rbpi and flash using the addon. If it fails, make sure you have the right cable, it needs to be a data transfer cable. Also make sure that the esp-board is in flashing mode, you can google how this works with your board tho most of the times you need to hold a button when plugging in the power. Good luck!

And yes you where shouting because of capslock, and yes it looks offensing. If you want help, don’t be so pitty.

i wanst at all tryig to shout. i wasnt trying cause any issues. if that gets that someone upset over that, of all things, they may have trouble with alot worse in life. but i will make sure in the future that i use proper vocabulary and appropriate capitalization. :roll_eyes:
as to the 8266 board, it is the Esspresif 12E board and i believe the button pressing thing (the flash and reset) are a thing of distant past. It was changed sometime last year.
UPDATE(sorry :worried:) update: This is going to sound stupid, because im new to Home Assisant. i didnt realize till beating my head against the wall, I finally realized that i needed to use the USB ports from the pi rather than the computer used to access. oh well, everbody does stupid things. Iot is still all so new. The Wemos board i was able to get recgnized, then the Lora board, then the 8266. The only one that had the green flashing circle was the wemos board, the others loaded successfully but no green light. Since the Wemos is the board that i origianally want to use becasue of the size and features, but imi wonderign why i couldnt get the others to work. Is the ‘flasher’ easier to use? has anyone have these issues before?
Thanks for the suggestions…keep them coming. If i can finish this project ill share it. If it works it will be truly amazing!