Help: need TRV for setup: Zigbee/Z-Wave/other

Hello,

I am currently trying hard to pick a suitable thermostat (TRV, Thermostatic radiator valve, not those things on the wall, where you pick temperature) for my apartment. It is hard to test now but enough time before winter.

My current setup/parameters:

1. Raspberry Pi 3b;
  2. Home Assistant;
  3. Installed Node-RED in HA with some basic automations running;
  4. Conbee ii usb stick (zigbee);
  5. Aeotec z-stick gen5 (z-wave);
  6. Xiaomi Aqara Sensors in each room (temperature, humidity).

I have already checked these thermostats:

1. Danfoss LC-13
    https://www.amazon.de/Danfoss-Heizkƶrperthermostat-Stellantrieb-LC-13-DAN_LC-13/dp/B00IGE38JM

2. Eurotronic Z-Wave
    https://www.amazon.de/Eurotronic-Energy-Saving-Controller-Intelligent-Thermostat/dp/B075X257NC/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=ƅMĆ…Å½Ć•Ć‘&crid=3R63O04IRPC95&dchild=1&keywords=eurotronic+heizkƶrperthermostat&qid=1591889222&s=diy&sprefix=eurotroni%2Cdiy%2C175&sr=1-4

3. Eurotronic Zigbee:
    (Sorry, no link possible, only 2 links are allowed for new users. It is like 2 but with Zigbee)

4. Danfoss Evo 2:
    (Sorry, no link possible, only 2 links are allowed for new users)

Reviews of all four are not great. Also seems that 1 and 2 are easy to integrate (with Aeotec z-stick gen5) whether with 3 there can be some problems (with Conbee ii USB stick). Not found any integration instructions for option 4.

Can someone give here an advice? Should I pick one from above list? Are there other alternatives?
For alternatives I would like to have:

• Easy initial setup;
  • Prefer not having DIY; (DIY people ā€“ you are great. However, this is just not my cup of tea. I am more into programming)
  • Setup without additional bridge/hub.

Is it also a good idea to pick thermostat and control it directly by valve position and not by temperature? For example: instead of sending a command to thermostat that I need 20 degrees in the room, I program in Node-RED:

• If the window is opened or temp in room >= 20, then valve is closed.
  • If the temp in room is >= 18, then valve open 10%.
  • If the temp in room is < 18, then valve open 30%.

Thank you in advance.

UPDATED: On the header itself I have Danfoss valve connector (RA I suppose but not 100% sure)

Oleksandr

3 Likes

Iā€™m interested in your finds, have you decided on any of the TRVs?
I have a surprisingly similar setup, and looking for the same devices.

Have you considered Homematic IP? https://www.homematic-ip.com/en/start.html Integrates easily with HA and I find it very reliable.

I ended up ordering one Eurotronic Z-Wave for testing. Unfortunately, have not managed to install it yet (no free time).

I postet two topics on reddit. Users have suggested some alternatives there, you can check out:
Reddit 1
Reddit 2

Hi,

Iā€™m tryin to set the same setupā€¦ regulating by valve opening according to temperature given by external devices or as you mentioned by other sensors (example door/window sensors).

Which TRV have you got? How did your setup ended working?

I would love to hear your recommendations and findings.

Cheersā€¦

Hello @Lavado,

Basically I ended up with 1 Devolo LC-13 and 3 Eurotronic Spirit Zwave.

I updated my findings in reddit posts (posts are the same, different reddits only):
Reddit 1
Reddit 2

In addition to posts, caught a bug with Eurotronic several days ago (that is why I write only now): the target temperature is reached, but TRV still continues heating the room. For example, target temperature was 20, but the TRV was still opened and heated the room up to 24-25. It seems that simple turning off the TVR (set hvac_mode to ā€œoffā€) and then turning it on again (set present_mode to ā€˜noneā€™ or ā€˜Heat Ecoā€™) solves the issue for me. But I will observe this behaviour further. Bug ocurred only in one room (bathroom). I assume that this is because in other 2 rooms (sleeping and working rooms) I have an automation: if the window is opened (additional sensor), then turn off TRV. It seems, that this automation has prevented me from having bug with overheating in these two rooms.

I also have not managed to get the current vavle position and control valve manually (really, have not invested much time into that).

Personally, I would probably pick 1 or 2 different TRVs and test them. Then select the one, which suits you best and sell others on ebay.

If you have any particular questions, I will try to answer.

Best Regards,
Oleksandr

Hi @AveMalyutin, thanks a lot for your deep support. IĀ“ll aquire an Eurotronic Spirit Zwave.
Did you move any further with regards to control the valve by %?
IĀ“ve read somehwere that the ET allows this but the problem is the Zwave integration. Do you know somehtin about it?

And by the way, any recomendation to which Zwave stick I should get to connect to my rasperry?

Additionally, there are two versions of the ET Zwave the old and the new version. Which ones you use? any recomendation on which one I should get?

Thank you in advance :wink:

Hi, I am trying to work out what TRVā€™s to get from Aliexpress or similar. I am also looking for less DIY more plug and play.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running Home Assistant - thinking of Conbee ii usb stick (zigbee), some TRVā€™s and some permanently powered devices (sockets/bulbs) to expand the network.

Any points would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrew.