Help needed getting Shelly Integration installed

They said it was a Shelly 1, which is a first gen device and does require CoIoT to be set up to work with the HA integration.

The Gen 2 devices (like you have) do not require this.

Yeah, I have devices from both generations. :wink:
Both works just fine with HA.

@Karli, could you please clarify if you have a Shelly 1 or a Shelly Plus 1?

Shelly 1:

Shelly Plus 1:

All right. I’m back at this problem today.

Edward … The devices I have tried are Shelly 1 relays, all Gen 1 products, I believe.

Tom … I updated firmware on the Shelly and I found the ColoT option added and already enabled. I added a ColoT peer and saved settings, then restarted the connection.

When I went to my HASS OS Integrations, I found the Shelly discovered !!!

First of all, thanks to both of you for helping me through this. But I have some questions to help me understand what is going on.

1. Is the Shelly Integration from the “add integration” list not needed?
  2. When I add my next Shelly 1 relay, should I expect to repeat this install method, or will it be easier?
  3. What is the ColoT peer? It is an IP address with .5683 appended.
  4. What is the best way to restart the HASS OS? Just cycle power to the computer?
  5. My networking knowledge is limited … should I do a deep dive learning about ColoT and unicast?

Karl

Not if the device is discovered. Which it should be once the device is set up correctly. You can use it if you don’t want to wait the 5 minutes discovery sometimes takes.

Everything gets easier with practice :slight_smile: even if your new device comes with newer firmware that has CoIoT support you still need to connect it to your wifi and it is always good to check if there is a newer firmware version than was programmed in to the device at the factory before being put into stock.

It is your Home Assistant IP address with :5683 added (note colon not period).

Definitely not.

You should never power cycle a running server (or pc for that matter) except as a last resort.

There’s difference between restarting and rebooting. Restarting only restarts the Home Assistant software and is usually all that is required. Rebooting is a drastic measure in a Linux system. It stops and restarts everything, OS, addons, the Home Assistant service, everything.

You should not need to reboot often. You should restart the core Home Assistant service instead. This can be done from Settings > System > Top Right Reset button, or from Developer Tools > Yaml > Restart.

In the rare cases it is needed, always perform a clean reboot instead of a power cycle. For Home Assistant this has been removed from the GUI (bad idea but it was to prevent this sort of confusion) and now has to be done from the CLI using this command ha host reboot.

Nah. Not required. It’s a Shelly proprietary protocol that is not used anywhere else. You don’t need to know how it works.

I was reading this thread because my Shelly Plus 1 couldn’t be adopted by the HA Shelly integration; I was getting the error message saying that my battery-powered Shelly device needed to be woken up before adoption (even though it was working on mains power behind a wall switch).
What worked for me was setting a fixed IP in the Shelly app settings on my phone. A message flashed up saying something about “Are you sure?” and “This will connect the device to your wi-fi network” or something like that. So perhaps the Shelly device’s own wi-fi access point was still on. I had seen notices that the Bluetooth would be disabled after initial configuration through the app but didn’t notice anything about the wi-fi. I suppose I just assumed that the wi-fi access point would also be turned off.
So, maybe it was the fixed IP or turning off the AP that did it, but my device was then immediately recognised and integrated into HA.