Help needed: Spotify configurator not appearing after config

I’ve configured the Spotify config element and setup a corresponding Developer project, and restarted my home assistant as instructed.

## Spotify Media Player
- platform: spotify
  client_id: !secret spotify_client_id
  client_secret: !secret spotify_client_secret

However, no Spotify configurator is available.
I can see nothing in the logs.

Has anyone experienced this or know what to do?

Has anyone who has got the spotify component to work be able to possibly comment on their configuration and experience setting it up?

Did you check the Notifications tab? It would be in the upper right corner of the Lovelace UI, the bell icon.

Yes I did check the notifications tab. Nothing ever appears there for me personally.

I’ve reset the Spotify component a few times and I don’t seem to get anything.

Everything else works.

If you did get the Spotify component working, then there should be a notification asking you to authorize Spotify with Home Assistant. After authorization, it looks like nothing happens but the Spotify media player should show up as an entity. This won’t happen if you already have token stored in the file “.spotify-token-cache”.

You can try deleting the cached token (called “.spotify-token-cache”) in your \config directory, reboot and try again.

Unfortunately the .spotify-token-cache file does not exist either.

Its as if HA is completely unresponsive to my Spotify configuration.

And you’re sure you put the Spotify config in the media player section of configuration.yaml?

Have you tried validating the config in Home Assistant settings and see if any error messages pop up? And you’ve restarted Home Assistant from the Settings section as well? Home Assistant doesn’t actually restart (even if you click the Restart button) if there are errors in the configuration.yaml.

Sorry to assume but it really feels like a user error. There would be error logs at a minimum if ithe entry in configuration.yaml was correct.

I finally got this to work, by setting in configuration.yaml

media_player: !include_dir_merge_list media_player

then creating a folder media_player and in this folder the file spotify.yaml.
within spotify.yaml:

- platform: spotify
  client_id: !secret spotify_client_id
  client_secret: !secret spotify_client_secret

And now it works.

secrets for spotify_client_id and spotify_client_secret in my secrets.yaml:

spotify_client_id: 324f2f23r32r312r23r23r23r2r22f23
spotify_client_secret: 23r32r23r23rf23tr23r23r2r23r23rf32r

I’m really not sure what changed from having it directly in the main configuration.yaml

Thanks for your help @dwinnn

That worked for me too, thanks a lot!

i followed this but still unable to see spotify configurator. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks

@falithurrahman Its worth noting now that Spotify static configuration is now removed, and should be added as a UI Integration.

I’ve removed everything in my spotify.yaml and configured everything using the UI Integration.

i don’t get it when you say

Can you explain to me? Thanks

I wrote an entire step-by-step guide on configuring Spotify, maybe it will help you :slight_smile:

Hello siytek, i followed your tutorial over here on installing hassio in ubuntu. I finally made it but why can’t i find home assistant container on my docker?

Did i do something wrong? Can you help me? Thanks

Hey @falithurrahman thanks for checking out my tutorial! I did not include Portainer in the tutorial as it is available in the add-on store, so you might be better just installing the add-on as it should work out of the box.

Alternatively you can run the Portainer server manually on the remote machine…

$ docker volume create portainer_data
$ docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer

Both methods work just fine :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help, it already works. It seems that i install wrong package, i installed docker.io instead of docker.ce. My bad.

I have a question if you don’t mind. What is the difference of installing home assistant by following tutorial over here and here? Thanks

This worked for me too! I’ve been stuck on this for so long thanks for the solution