Home assistant can’t fully control newly added zwave switches

It seems to be some kind of device ID conflict per this error in the log:

Logger: homeassistant.components.switch
Source: helpers/entity_platform.py:566
Integration: Switch
First occurred: 1:56:26 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:56:26 PM

Platform mqtt does not generate unique IDs. ID zwavejs2mqtt_0xed9c7248_45-37-0-currentValue already exists - ignoring switch.nodeid_45_switch

I’m getting a similar error for the switch I added before this that’s also misbehaving but the two prior to that are working fine. They have unique node ids and the home assistant called out ids look both correct and unique so I don’t know what to make of this or how to fix it.

Switches are working perfectly from the zwavejs2mqtt configuration page.

Yep, every time I add new devices, my system seems to get in a bad state. I added two more switches today and they wouldn’t behave in home assistant until I rebooted my Pi. None of restarting the server (via the app), killing and restarting the iphone app, restarting the home assistant docker and restarting the zwavejs2mqtt docker instance (not in that order) helped but the full reboot of the Pi fixed it. In this repro, same as before, only the newly added devices weren’t working from home assistant.

Then later I added a leak sensor and later still found my newly added switches were misbehaving again. I don’t know if that was related - there were no long entries about duplicate zwavejs IDs this time. I didn’t bother trying to restart pieces this time, I just rebooted the pi to get the switches working again.