Home-assistant.log location

Just wondering if there’s any way to permanently move the home-assistant.log file to a different location? Could it be written to a syslog facility or something?

1 Like

Create a symlink.

If you use systemd then the logging should be handled by journald as far as I remember.

Thanks @fabaff, from what I can tell, there’s 2 separate logs going on. One is (by default) being written to HA’s config directory as home-assistant.log the other is being written to syslog. I’ve already filtered out the messages being written to syslog, and set-up log rotation. But I’d really like to move the home-assistant.log to a different location. If I manually move the home-assistant logs somewhere else, then make a symlink from the config directory, to them. logs will be written (via the symlink) to the new location, but what happens when HA tries to rotate the logs? Seems to me like it’s going to break something. Would be really nice if the home-assistant.log location was configurable.

3 Likes

I support this. Can we create an issue / is there already an issue for this?

There is not currently an issue for this, and to be honest I wasn’t sure how to go about creating one. Would really like to see this option, but lost steam as it seemed to be going nowhere.

Feature request submitted here: