Home Assistant or HASS.IO

I am currently running a Docker stack on dedicated standalone linux server. The stack is HA, Mosquito, NodeRed, Unifi Controller, Portainer, OpenVPN, InfluxDB and Grafana. Looking at all of the addons that HASS.IO has now and that they run on docker seems like a lot less to manage on system.

So suggestions from the crowd: What is the better practice.

• Stick with Home Assistant and the docker stack support apps (as i’m doing)

• Visualize a HASS.IO install on top on linux and use addons

• Or something else I missing

Thanks…

(also posted on reddit sub https://www.reddit.com/…/c…/adr5x7/home_assistant_or_hassio/)

You can just do a generic Linux install of Hass.io in docker and have the best of everything… That’s what I do.

1 Like

I like Hass.io because it contains the core of home assistant with support for plugins. Hass.io and Docker go together like peanut butter and jelly. Home assistant in a docker container + plugins in docker containers… Perfect :slight_smile: I am running it on a core 2 duo and it took me less then an hour to migrate from my raspberry pi setup including MQTT, lets encrypt + duckDNS etc etc…

However be warned there are zealots on this forum who think Hass.io is for newbies and lament that the devs are prioritising it over the vanilla home assistant… Never mind that Hass.io is great for power users who actually get the advantages of Docker over mucking about with config files, having the correct python libraries, and custom setups…

1 Like

OK. Are the docker containers nested. I mean a docker container with hass.io on the host and then it’s own instance of docker running it’s own stack of containers for each addon?

No, they are not nested

HASSIO consists of 2 containers: the supervisor and home assistant. It will run on straight docker. All add-on containers just run alongside these 2

2 Likes