Home Assistant OS not installing on Pi4 4gb + SSD

Hi, i’ve a Pi4 with 4gb model and I want to install HassOS on a ssd (128gb, kingston), linked with usb-3 adapter or enclosure.
I’ve updated the bootloader (version on footer of this post), and it seems to boot correctly from SSD, but it never ends the installation correctly.
Everytime it ends with " Home Assistant CLI is not running! Jump into emergency console " error. Starting Pi4 without external monitor neither solves the problem, also the Pi4 doesn’t appear on the list of linked devices on my router. It works flawlessly on Raspbian OS on microsd and Hassio on microsd.

Bootloader: c2f8c338 apr 29 2021
update-ts: 1624488582

You have used the latest image of the HaOS 64bit version?

yes. using the latest image on the website (version 6), or the one with raspberry imager (version 5) with a microsd runs flawlessly. but not from ssd

now i’m trying to clone the sd card into the ssd with balenaetcher to see if it works

edit: linking the image i’m using:
github dot com /home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/6.1/haos_rpi4-64-6.1.img.xz

Update: I managed to make it boot by attaching the SSD to the USB 2.0 port. What the hell?

It sounds like your SSD enclosure is not supported with UASP & USB3. There is a list somewhere with supported devices otherwise you will need to use qwerks to disable UASP with your enclosure.

Look here

I thinnk this is it. But it’s strange because i’ve this enclosure: SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-Free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized for SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP), it should have UASP support, as listed.

Going to buy one listed on jamesachambers website to see how it goes. In the meantime, i’ll use usb 2.0 port :slight_smile:

I have a Sabrent enclosure myself but I had to update it using their windows tool to get it Pi4 UASP compatible. Don’t have links as just on my phone but check their website for such a tool- here

I bought this [One](Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Silver (EC-UM30) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MQ97QGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DXQB9FM8X6P4XGZTJFMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

YES! THIS! THANK YOU!
I updated my enclosure and bam, usb3 working! THANK YOU!

1 Like