Home assistant os without internet?!

is there anyway to use home assistant os without an internet connection?! i didn’t find anything recent.

i have a mobile connection so it can go asleep/down very often… and i can’t use or configure home assistant anymore

thanks

As long as your local network stays up and your integrations don’t depend on an external service you should be able to continue to use it.

When your WAN connection is down what kind of issue are you having when trying to connect locally?

sorry, wasn’t clear… “connection lost” popup appears and i have to wait until the connection is back to use the gui…

ok, going to disable integrations that uses internet

I think the key issue is usually a lack of NTP server access. If you run your own local NTP server, you should be able to make it work. There are a few threads about it here.

This is usually the go-to solution, and there’s an addon for it (if that helps): https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/

This won’t help your issue.

Are you using an external URL (ie duck dns or nabu casa remote connection) to connect? If so, this behavior is expected.

Connect directly to your instance using its local IP. It is also recommended to put your HA instance on a fixed IP address on your local network through a DHCP reservation or static IP setup.

1 Like

thanks both… made few tests, really rapid test for the moment… forgot to say i’m using a raspberry…

1. homeassistant.local, i have to investigate why it doesn’t work without internet… not a big problem, i can use the ip reserved to home assistant on my local network or use the hosts file.
    gui ok, ssh ko, rebooting seems ok.

2. if i boot without internet connection it doesn’t work.
    gui ko, ssh ok, rebooting ko.
    so, i can only wait to have the connection back online and reboot (even using ssh).

3. using chrony add-on seems to work pretty well if the connection goes down or i reboot without internet. it doesn’t work if i boot without internet, logical.

99% problem solved. i can think one or two more, really rare, situations to cover…

can i solve the problem if i buy a raspberry clock module?! is it supported?!

thanks

Heem… do you have router inside your home? Does your RPI connect to the router? Does your mobile also connect to the router? Or your RPI connect to your Mobile device?

If your device connect to your router then your RPI/HASS should work upon reboot without internet and it should be available to connect into all your local device. Again since there are no detail will need more clarifications

• router + mobile key
  • the raspberry connects to the router via wifi, reserved ip
  • home assistant os

i don’t know if the system still works without internet, the gui doesn’t work so i can’t check or configure anything …

Strange… if your router provide DHCP local ip then you should be able to connect to your HA via local IP. Unless you are setting something on HA which in the need of extra access from the internet.

Since I do proxy for my HA then my HA surely can run even without Internet as long as all my device dont need internet access. The only thing it wont work when I try to access it via Domain which will surely require Internet access

When HA not connecting does your mobile have WiFi connection?

Some WiFi router will shut down WiFi when WAN(internet) connection is lost. Could this be issue?

Are you connecting from mobile app or browser? Just got clarity.

to solve the/my problem after running haos for few days…

• added homeassistant.local to hosts file; not a big problem, i won’t have to care changing links or whatever in use… to use the app i can insert the reserved ip instead of homeassistant.local

• temporary internet downtime seems not to affect the integrations i use (i.e. radiator valves)

• rebooting without internet doesn’t work every time, the core doesn’t start. definitely not a problem, but if needed can be solved connecting via ssh and using the command “core restart”

• power outage: it happens once in a year, not a real problem. ha starts before my router is ready, so it is like a reboot without internet…

i was considering to add a second mobile line, probably, i’ll add a super tiny ups too… not in a hurry btw, hoping ha will support clock modules…

:warning:**[quote="50494554524F, post:1, top[wrap=“justify”]
[u][quote=“50494554524F, post:1, topic:298818, full:true”]
is there anyway to use home assistant os without an internet connection?! i didn’t find anything recent.

i have a mobile connection so it can go asleep/down very often… and i can’t use or configure home assistant anymore

thanks
[/quote]

bfb3b582-5edb-478e-a881-4067ca666a29-1_all_2499

Blockquote

[/u]
[/wrap]ll:true"]

thanks
[/quote]

s=“Summary”]

> strong text

[/details]
`

**> Blockquote