Home Assistant Yellow PoE - incorrect FedEx charge for import duties & VAT

Today I got a message from FedEx that I need to pay Dutch VAT and import duties for my Home Assistant Yellows (total of EUR 73.83 for 2 units). Im pretty sure this is not correct as I already paid for taxes on the original invoice issued by Crowd Supply. I have just reached out to Crowd Supply for their assistance to take care of this matter.

If anyone else has the same experience and knows the solution, please let me know! I will send an update when this matter is resolved or when something noteworthy happens that can be helpful to others that have received the same charge.

Same issue here; received the Yellow PoE yesterday (Netherlands) and today got a text message from FedEx with a link to pay € 25,06 for (import) taxes and provision.
Have reached out to Crowd Supply as well, I’ll keep you updated.

1 Like

That sucks that you got charged as well. appreciate it that you update me on your progress!

Since crowd supply did not respond to my request for support via their website I have reached out to them via Twitter

Same issue here: i had to pay 23,66 to FedEx.

From Fulfillment & Logistics | Crowd Supply

VAT and Customs

Crowd Supply prepays VAT and pre-clears customs for most packages shipped to all EU countries, the UK, Switzerland, Australia, and New Zealand. This means the package is delivered directly to the backer’s door without the need for them to deal with a customs house. Crowd Supply, via our parent company Mouser Electronics, is properly registered in each country for which we collect VAT and we remit collected VAT accordingly. Backers who prefer to use their VAT ID and not pay VAT at the time of purchase can do so by contacting us to associate their VAT ID with their Crowd Supply account. Orders that contain items which have lithium content (often due to a lithium battery) cannot be shipped to some countries with VAT prepaid or with customs pre-cleared.*

1 Like

Sent a reminder today to Crowd Supply, but still no response via mail or Twitter.

I did receive the package - that’s a win - and FedEx stopped chasing me for the payment. The latter might be a temporary win. Contacted FedEx on the payment by phone, but could not reach a human being.

Would be great if there would be any communication by Crowd Supply, the lack of updates and/or a solution is getting rather annoying.

After a week I got a reply today from CrowdSupply acknowledging that they have issues with FedEx charging VAT although taxes are already paid.
According to them the only solution is to pay FedEx and provide a receipt to CrowdSupply so they can refund the taxes.
Let’s give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Crowd supply contacted me via Twitter, see their reaction below.

Hi there. Did my colleagues in support sort you out or do you want me to chase this for you? I know we had some issues with the carrier but they should have been corrected now.

I have the same problem with my Home Assistant Yellow order which just arrived to me in Sweden.

I have sent an email to Crowd Supply, hopefully they will respond.