HomeAssistant and Alexa current guide? May 31 2017

Is there a current guide for setting up Alex with HomeAssistant? I’ve tried going through the posts and there are so many of them and they seem to contradict themselves between using emaulated hue and hue bridge. I’m in the process of starting to move my devices off of wink (latest wink update completely screwed everything up) and onto HA. All I want to be able to do right now is tell Alexa to turn on/off specific lights.

“Alexa turn on den lights”

Not

“Alexa tell homeassistant to turn on den lights” to many words, gets alexa confused.

If you just want simple on/off control, emulated hue is what you are looking for. I use it regularly and love it.

If you want Alexa to answer questions for you based on sensor data or entity states, someone else will have to answer.

Yea, that’s the problem. The documentation you referenced, results in a warning about Alexa being depricated, and when I have the emulated hue bridge in my config, it’s either taking an extremely long time (5 minutes or so to reboot) or it’s killing me. I was hoping there was some more up to date documentation. I’m on a simple RPI (no docker, no AiO), just a simple python env install. Works fine without any references to emulated_hue in it. No

Look back through the release notes and you can find out what is being phased out. I believe it was just a config option/method for Alexa. The platform itself runs fine and is not being phased out.

Not sure why you are having issues. I’m running on a virtual server and not having any restart issues.

Any thoughts?

Configuration.yaml

homeassistant:
  # Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
  name: Home
  # Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
  latitude: !secret lat
  longitude: !secret lon
  # Impacts weather/sunrise data (altitude above sea level in meters)
  elevation: 104
  # metric for Metric, imperial for Imperial
  unit_system: imperial
  # Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
  time_zone: America/Chicago
  customize: !include customize.yaml

bla bla bla

#emulated_hue:
#  type: alexa
#  host_ip: 192.168.2.28
#  expose_by_default: false
#  exposed_domains:
#    - light
#    - switch
#    - input_boolean

customize.yaml file

#light.office_lights_level_22_0:
#  emulated_hue: true
#  emulated_hue_hame: "office lights"

i use emulated hue for Alexa without any problems.

i even use emulated hue to let Alexa tell me sensor data (with the help from an android device and lannouncer)
i am also on a RPI.
so its probably not hue thats making the delay, or its something else in your setup that upsets hue.

could be that the exposed domains gives you trouble when you have lots of switches and input booleans.

my config:

emulated_hue:
  host_ip: my_ip
  listen_port: 8300
  type: alexa
  expose_by_default: false

and then only around 10 booleans exposed. (i find the hardest part to find names that my wife can remember and pronounce fitting the devices i want to go on or off)

I took it 20 minutes to restart. But it’s advertising now. But it’s not advertising the name specified in the customization file. Reloading core is supposed to reload the customize.yaml file. right?

i dont know. i only use complete restart.
when they started to implement reloading parts (like groups) it was very buggy in the beginning and i never really trusted it.
and because restarting doesnt take longer (in my case) i only restart (takes 1 minute)

1 thing i noticed what is making restarts delaying is the recording.
before i did shut down the recording function from HA it took over 5 min. to restart.
when i did close down recording i had no more delays. (and i record what i need in AD anyway)

Ok,
I can now say for a fact that reloading core does not reload the customize.yaml file. That was a big part of my problem. But if I put in the emulate_hue component, my reboot goes from about 1 to 2 minutes to about 10 minutes. It’s working now and bringing the name across like it should. Alexa can see it and responds. One good thing is now I think I can turn on and off input_booleans so I can turn on “party mode” or “guest mode”, etc to make the house respond to special conditions. That will be nice.

1 Like

the reason why it didnt do that before was probably an overload.
more then 49 switches, inputbooleans and lights in total was causing that Alexa didnt show anything.
i read on the forum an modified emulated hue could give you more then 49, but i have trouble finding enough names, as it is :wink:

no idea why it delays that long. could still be a DB problem. mine doesnt delay at all.

but im glad i could help you.

No before when I would check api/homeassistant/lights it didn’t return any entities. So HA wasn’t publishing anything for Alexa to pickup.