HomeAssistant and Reolink Doorbell POE

There is still the HTTP / HTTPS problem that Reolink did not solve so still might be in that corner…

You can try the official Reolink app to see it in action and try it out.

What do you mean by seeing it in action with the official reolink app? Because, if you are refering to the iOS / Android app, 2 way audio has always worked. Now since the latest FW it also is exposed by ONVIF thus making it available for both Google home and Alexa, and if HA would implement microphone support for HA as well.

Hallo @mhoogenbosch,
Did you actually succeed in getting the 2wayaudio using ONVIF to work?
For me it doesn’t work?

nope, haven’t gotten time to do so. How did you test? Btw, i’m not using either of the suggested smart home systems (alexa / google)

I am using Scripted and Homekit, and I can’t get it to work. No sound can be heard from the doorbell when the “Talk” button is pressed in Homekit. It works (as it has always done) through the Reolink app, but not if I have tried it through Homekit/Scripted. Then I have to reboot the doorbell to get it to work from the Reolink app again. I don’t see any additional settings in scrypted related to two-way audio. I don’t know if I’m missing something?

1 Like

I’m seeing the same in go2rtc. Go2rtc recognizes the backchannel audio and yet no audio is played from the doorbell

1 Like

I tested using Synology Surveillance station and happytimesoft ONVIF client

Just installed my doorbell a few days ago. I’ve been trying to dial in the sensitivity for cars driving by at night triggering motion sensor. I’ve also found there’s motion when ever the camera switches day/night mode. Tonight was a little comical because my automations kept fighting the doorbell.

I have an automation that looks for motion from the doorbell or my garage doors opening after sunset and turns on my outside lights. The automation delays for 60 seconds after the last motion detection and shuts the lights off. Tonight the outside lights came on as the camera switched from day to night mode. As soon as this happened, my outside lights came on. When the lights shut off, the doorbell saw this as motion and turned them back on again. This cycle continued for almost 15 minutes until I could get to my phone and manually shut off the lights.

Do I have to manually code around this day/night motion detection in home assistant or is there a way to fix it in the app settings? The only thing I can think of for home assistant coding would be to ignore motion alerts +/- 30 minutes around sunrise/sunset? Any other good ideas?

1 Like

It seems like microphone support is the only thing stopping 2 way audio in HA. It seems like a relativley straightforward thing but I’m foolish so hopefully someone smarter than I can do it

I’ve fallen into the 2 second delay time too in order to get the notification to pull the snapshot correctly. Wish it was faster but oh well.

I know you are using iOS but has anyone found a way to make the doorbell press more noticeable on an Android besides using the AlarmStream option that ignores any do not disturb settings? This is the only downfall of this doorbell that I see so far that all it does is send you a simple notification that someone pushed your doorbell button. On the wyze doorbell, it send a “calling” notification where it kept vibrating until you hung up or answered.

If you can, I would suggest forgetting reolink detection and set-up a frigate NVR. I experienced your issues not only with the doorbell but other reolink cameras that I have. My idea was to build an NVR (frigate) for recording only and offload all the motion detection to the camera. Reolink just does not work even if setting it to absolutely minimum sensitivity…honestly I am disappointed to a point that I almost had to return all the cameras. Fortunately, I was able to acquire a coral TPU (given it’s scarcity) and now have frigate doing the motion detection. The only function that I use now from the reolink doorbell is the “visitor” sensor (and the video stream of course). Even with the visitor sensor, I had to work around it because the reolink integration does not work with https.

Sorry if this is not much of help.

1 Like

Curious to know what you did about the visitor sensor, did you use the fork of the reolink integration from HACs?

Just used the official reolink integration and installed the NGNIX revers proxy add-on to work around the https limitation. I was reluctant initially as I thought it is a bit too complex for me but it is quite straight forward.

2 Likes

Firmware isn’t available to download anymore :frowning:

Just a different topic. How much weather proof is it? Is there anybody using it in open space, not not covered near house door?

I’ve installed it in open space for 3 months now. There were heavy rainshowers last week, didn’t cause any problem.

I’ve created a very simple rain cover Reolink Doorbell Rain Cover by simonmoser - Thingiverse which seams to do the job.

yep, can’t find firmware in the Reolink site. Use this instead… GitHub - AT0myks/reolink-fw-archive: History of official firmwares for Reolink devices..

Edit: I have checked my doorbell firmware version and it seems to have updated to the latest version. Yesterday, I got a pop-up in HA (from the Reolink integration) that a new version is available. I clicked on install but it returned an error. A bit surprised that the firmware is a later version to what I previously download. Maybe the update via HA did work. (Now on Firmware Version v3.0.0.2033_23041302)

Thanks, cover looks good. I was thinking about something more … covering (like more protruding “roof”)

Correct, There are problems with it thats why they pulled it. there is a new one on the way… and there is a GIT with older versions available…

I also have the firmwares available if you like but again there is a few problems with it that is why reolink removed them…

3 Likes

Thank you for the link @jigsaw, that’s very useful!