HomeAssistant Synology Package - Can’t “Repair” After Python Update

Apologies if this is the wrong forum area, but: I have been running HomeAssistant Core (2021.9.7-15) fairly uninterrupted for months now, as a community package on my Synology NAS.

I recently got a notification that my Synology Python package needed to be updated, which I did (successfully), to version 3.8.13-7. With the Python update, HomeAssistant turned itself off (which makes some sense due to its dependencies). However, it won’t turn itself back on - the HomeAssistant Core package gives me two options: “Repair” (which fails) and “Uninstall” (which I am afraid to try on my own at this point).

Does anyone out there know what I can do to get it up and running again? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall, or are there terminal commands I need to run to get it going? I’m moderately tech savvy but certainly not to the point where I know how to fix this :slight_smile:

Thanks, all!

You should be on Python 3.9 these days, with Python 3.8 you won’t be able to upgrade beyond 2021.12.

I’d suggest you make sure you have working backups and then uninstall and re-install.

Remember that those packages are unsupported - preferred and supported method for Synology is Docker or VMM - of course if Synology you have supports any of those.
Everything else can break with any update to Synology and/or Home Assistant.

Check with author of Syno package if he has any plans to update to newer version of HA and add support for newer Python version(s).

Thank you all for the responses!

1. Is it possible to migrate from the Syno package to the Docker container (in a way that’s not so much work I’d regret it)?
  2. When you say “make sure I have working backups”, is the a right way to get a backup? Or what is it specifically I should be backing up? (Or is there an article someone can refer me to?)

Sometimes I think I know what I’m doing with HA and sometimes I find out…that I don’t!

If you are using DS220+ Docker is native application there.
For migration from Syno package to Docker, just copy all of the files including hidden ones to new location that is probably something like /volume1/docker/homeassistant - and that should be it.
When you create container (either through UI Docker or via SSH) it should load those files from folder you specify.