Homekit Infused 5 (HKI) v2023.1.3

That’s what makes this so great!!! Love it when can help each other :trophy: @jimz011

I’m evolving. lol

1 Like

Wow it looks exactly like mine (except for the photos ofc :stuck_out_tongue:) great to have been of any help for you.

Does anyone else have issues with the buttons on mobile? Sometimes the light buttons toggle then toggle again going back to the original state.

WOW . I am deeply impressed by your work. Well done. This look is exactly what I try to achieve, last Year I installed Appdeamon and I was at least able to get this look. Problem with Appdeamon are the delays till Lights are triggered. So if you don’t mind I will try to copy your work!

@shauder I assume you are running ios 13 as this is the case on all my ios 13 devices. I don’t have the issue on ios 12, I can only hope it is a bug in safari. But only time will tell.

@ino ofc I don’t mind, I have put it up for that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@jimz011 you are correct sir! Also very good job on this. It has provided me a lot of inspiration!

To add some more details for anyone else who may come across this. I come across this when I try and quickly tap a button. If I tap it and hold it slightly but before what is a long press then it works consistently.

If you happen to own an Apple TV 4(K) and have automated it with HA you also do not wish to update to tvos 13. It will break every automation you have made in HA as Apple apparently has removed some services related to home sharing which the HA component relied on. So don’t jump on that train just yet if you really need dimming when watching a movie for example. Unfortunately I have already updated my ATV’s and I am pretty lazy so not really feeling to downgrade them soon. Also I prefer to be on the latest firmware for numerous reasons and staying on tvos 12 only means postponing the inevitable for a bit longer. Tvos 12 will eventually no longer be supported and that time might come very soon. I hope I can find an alternative to this in the future or maybe someone great knows how to make a new component who knows.

@shauder regarding those buttons, I have experienced the same thing. Luckily I have put a hold_action on most of my buttons, the more-info window has a toggle as well. It isn’t a great solution, but will have to do for the time being (like I said I am lazy and don’t feel to downgrade to ios 12 as man that is a real pain in the crapper). I don’t know though if this happens with a core button card as well. I will try this out now and edit this post if I know the answer.

1 Like

I do own the Apple TV 4K but I have not upgraded it yet nor do I rely on that integration much yet. I do really appreciate the heads up though!.

I will look into what you mention for the buttons though and again I really appreciate you sharing this!

1 Like

By any chance did you do a clean install of ios 13 or an upgrade? I ask because my whatsapp was bugged after the update, all notifications would just show notification instead of the actual content. This was very annoying when getting messages on the Apple watch. Apparently a reinstall of whatsapp was needed as they were working again after a reinstall (I have waited 2 weeks for beta 2 to drop just to find out that the same bug was in beta 2, so reinstalling fixed it).

What I am going to try is to do a clean install on my iPhone with a clean version of ios 13. It might sound really stupid, but in my history with computers/phones they can be really finicky and sometimes a stupid reboot/reinstall will fix the most dumb problems. I will do this whenever I find the time.

On another note regarding the buttons again. I have just tried a core button and it doesn’t work either so it is not related to the button-card in general. I will raise an issue on the HA repo if it still exists after a few beta’s.

1 Like

Mine was an upgrade for sure. I have not tried a clean install and this is the first possibly safari related issue I have ran into. I will also update if I find anything out!

Hi @jimz011

What a wonderfull setup you have… It really looks the next level of home-assistant. The devs should make youre skin as default in HA:)

I would like to use youre customization and i was wondering what is the fasest way to start up home-assistant with all of youre configuration files?

I mean there is such much code and most of the devices i am not using (apple tv etc) So when i simply copy/paste youre config, i think HA will not start.

Is there a way to start youre gui with missing entities? So i can change them for myself or do i have to change every yaml file of this?

Thanks!

Regards,
Elroy

1 Like

Sorry for the late response, I think most of the setup is just putting in your own entities and or tweak it a bit to have the amount of rows you want on some pages. The only thing that won’t work out of the box is the pop-up card. If a single entity is missing in the configuration the pop-up cards will not load and it will show a more-info window instead. Nevertheless if the popup cards don’t work the rest of the setup pretty much should. Not entirely sure though.

If you want to do an entire copy I would suggest to do the following:

• install a second instance of HA (don’t do it on the same pi if you use a pi though, the poor machine is already stressed out with 1 instance)
  • use it to test this setup and see what errors are thrown
  • replace entities with your own (don’t forget the input_booleans, as they are pretty much dummy buttons in my setup, but they are needed for some buttons, same goes for input_selects)

If you do not have access to a second HA instance you could try to add this, but I would suggest going at it slowly. Add pages one by one, as I have split up my lovelace config this should be relatively easy. Just make sure you comment out the specific views in ui-lovelace.yaml. If going at it slowly I would suggest to do the main-view.yaml and other.yaml last as those two views are the largest and contain most of the code. (you could do the main-view sooner if you don’t care about the pop-up cards not working, or if you have set the pop-up card up correctly).

Honestly I don’t think any config will be very easy to copy, but I have seen people copying my setup before so it is certainly possible. Though it is not something for the beginner I think. Especially with the new split lovelace config and decluttering templates it might be confusing/hard to understand how it works and what you will need to do to customize is yourself.

I’d say try it, it is easy to backup your current ui-lovelace.yaml file. Just download them and paste them in your setup and see what it does. I don’t have a way to test it for you unfortunately.

I hope this helps, maybe you could ask @dougbaptista what is needed exactly as he shared a video here showing that he has an almost exact copy of my configuration. He even got the new update from a few days ago (which I was amazed by btw).

When I transferred the code, the most important thing for me was to use a good code editor. I used MS Visual Studio Code. You can use it to expand or collapse individual sections of code. This makes the work much clearer and it is easy to customize individual sections to the individual circumstances.

A simple copy & paste didn’t really work for me, at least. You have to get a little involved with the code and try to understand what @jimz011 did here.

I never tried MS Visual Studio Code, but what I have read is that it is a pretty demanding piece of software (like Atom). I personally use Sublime text editor. Very lightweight, is dark (which is nice on the eyes) and it is free for the time being (it will nag about purchasing the full version every 5 or 10 saves, but it is really just a matter of pressing ‘no thanks’, there are no benefits as of yet to the paid version and there is no estimated time as to when this software will become paid. It has been like this for years so I don’t think it will change any time soon).

https://www.sublimetext.com/

Updates 02/07/2019

Changes

• Minor changes to the other view, the top menu button is now correctly aligned with the rest of the buttons, this was only noticable on larger screens like tablets and or desktops/laptops.
  • Moved all the views to a view folder, this change will break your setup if you don’t copy this!
  • Added custom-cards and custom-components to the repo (some had trouble understanding how they work, this should make it a bit easier)

Upcoming:
Birthday notifications, in the interface as well as via the notify service to mobile devices.
This is what it will look like in the interface:

Addition to the previous update:
Here is a screenshot of the revamped “other” view. Because there are no screenshots of this I will share it now. Both of these updates will be uploaded tonight. I will add some color to the icons before uploading:

Hello! I was finishing applying the antica configuration with the anchors.
And @jimz011 had already adiatado on the card “decluttering” and I was even worried. But I was also co-opted by this new model getting more organized and reducing a significant amount of code.

I actually copied the whole code. Before I made sure to download all the cards I would use. @jimz011 documentation made a lot of difference explaining each card and its importance.

How did I make that last copy? View by view. And pop-ups last. Now I’m changing the inputs_selects, I’ve already changed a lot.

I am also creating some card templates to suit my purpose and include items that I desire as energy consumption.

It also made it easier for me to have a lot of things similar to jim (devices)

But the secret is to go view by view. And I further separated the lines, I end up putting more comments in the middle of the code also so I understand better.

The part of the theme is also important for colors to be more appropriate, especially pop-ups.

1 Like

Great explanation, exactly what I thought would be the easiest way. Regarding themes, the theme is a bit bad at the moment. You will not notice it in the interface but you will see it in the hamburger menu and the corresponding pages.

For now most colors except a few are hardcoded into the styles, for example the var(—homekit-white) color is a dynamic one and eventually This will eventually change as I want dynamic themes. For example I use white buttons now on a dark wallpaper. But I want the buttons to be dark when using a light wallpaper.

Unfortunately theming is a real pain and has a moderate priority for me at the moment. I hope to have something done with theming before the end of the month. Currently I am working on climate views and a much better vacuum integration. I hope to have this ready by tomorrow or thursday.

and view by view you mean to check each .yaml file and see if you want to use that?

What I think he means is to comment out all the views in ui-lovelace.yaml and then uncomment them one by one. Like I mentioned before I would do the main-view and other view last as those contain the most code. See if it works already without these views. (I think it will at least start up).

Just make sure you get all the custom cards before even beginning to start it, or at least get the essential cards (I have marked the essential ones on the github repo).

Again there is no real easy way as HA could fail to start even with a slight misconfiguration. Sometimes it will start great, sometimes these errors need to be resolved first. Alternatively you could go with the elements one by one as well. For example the main-view page consists of a few horizontal/vertical stacks. Just add the vertical stacks one by one and see if it works. (Don’t remove horizontal-stacks as these stacks have gap creators, meaning there is a gap between the buttons and the border of the screen, without these buttons will touch the border and it doesn’t look that great).

If by any chance you are Dutch (and don’t live too far away) I could come and help out. But it will have to be in the vicinity of Eindhoven.

2 Likes