Homekit Video Help (outside of LAN)

Hi,

I thought I had a setup that was working fully, but I guess I hadn’t looked closely enough when outside the LAN… So I thought to ask here in case there’s any tips on where I can look next…

My setup is as follows:

• Latest Home Assistant running in Docker (auto-updated)
  • AppleTV 4K running as Homekit hub (no other hubs)
  • All Apple devices running latest OS.
  • Native Homekit devices are directly attached to Homekit
  • Non-native Homekit devices are bridge via Home Assistant
  • Home Assistant’s Homekit is setup via yaml file, following HA recommendations:
    — Devices such as switches, alarm, etc are setup together through one Homekit bridge via yaml
    — I have 4 cameras, each of these is setup as its own Homekit accessories via yaml
  • Home Assistant is NOT exposed to the Internet

The cameras are actually “centralized” by Blue Iris, which exposes http streams which HA calls to consume and expose.

Where it stands:

• I can see all camera videos through Blue Iris desktop client (within LAN), as well as Blue Iris iOS App (both inside and outside the LAN)
  • I can see the camera videos through the HA App and Web Page when on LAN (as expected). Outside the LAN, of course via VPN they can also be seen.
  • When in LAN, in the Home App on iOS, as well as on the Apple TV, I can see the videos. No problem.

The issue:

• From outside the LAN however, it’s super strange:
    — The still frame is shown
    — The audio can be heard
    — The video however is never started. Just holds on the still frame, which (sometimes?) updates every 10 seconds or so.

Has anyone experienced this, or solved it?
Any leads would be really helpful.