Honor individual default light profile when turning on a room

I can accomplish the following with an automation, but there is a delay that makes it less than ideal. I’d like to have the default profile for an individual light honored when turning on a room that contains that light. In my specific case, when I turn on my second bedroom, I’d like the desk like to illuminate to 90% rather than 100% like the rest of the lights.

My light_profiles is the following and does work when I turn on and off just the desk light itself.

id,x,y,brightness,transition
group.all_lights.default,0.417,0.396,255,1
normal,0.417,0.396,255,1
light.second_bedroom_desk.default,0.417,0.396,230,1

I can also get somewhat around this by specifying a “normal” scene for the room, but then I have to reference the scene every time instead of simply saying “turn on the lights,” so also not ideal.

As of 2021.2.1, it looks like this functionality has been added. Many thanks to Adminiuga for making this happen. However, now my scene changes always make the lights go back to their default colors. I have some scenes that just dim certain lights and leave their colors to whatever they’re set at. This now makes them always revert back to default. It’d be nice if the default profiles were only used when an “on” command was sent, rather than a “change” event, but I don’t think Home Assistant differentiates the two. I DO like that the profiles are honored not just when the light goes from off to on, but any brightness to “on”.

I just upgraded today and I’m also running into this issue.

I’m not sure how to configure it so that the lights don’t revert any changes that I’ve made via the UI. Have you been able to come up with any clever ideas on how to do this?

I’m just going to have to remove my default profile values from the csv because they are causing more issues than they solve at this point.

I haven’t attempted this yet, but the xy_value of a light could be stored prior to changing the brightness, and then that color with the new brightness could be set all at once, resulting in just a dimming or brightening. That’s a pretty big pain, though, and it’s unfortunate that we had to trade one convenience for another.

I truly think the weakness in Home Assistant is the lack of differentiation between “on” and “change.” Calling a change could imply an on, if the user wanted, but being able to separate them would solve essentially all the issues I currently have with lights.