How best to build home automation using knx and later wtih z-wave + HA

Hello everyone,

This question is often asked but I still cannot find a satisfactory answer to it. How best to build home automation using knx and z-wave with HA
I am building a house and would like to plan the home automation upfront. I’m confronted with the question of how to “best” interconnect my devices intelligently.

By best, I mean having the following five points:
- local control
- privacy first
- future proof (at least a bit)
- vendor agnostic (to a large extend)
- relatively cheap (in terms of cost of hardware)

After an extensive research, I am able to narrow down the technologies that seem to meet the above four criteria. Viz., run a cable (using knx-ip) or interconnect wirelessly (using Z-wave or Zwave-plus).

HA seem to be the best option that meets most of my above criteria, including integrating both world - knx and Zwave. But then, most information I found about the exact hardware I need to setup the knx-ip stack are currently vague to me. So my questions:
- Can someone point me to a material (or steps, or git-repo) for setting-up a test environment of a fully functional knx-ip system? Just what I need to integrate the system with HA
- Must I really buy the ETS5 software tool (it costs €1000) even though If I only want to take the advantage of the wired-network to interconnect more than 5 devices? Or how can I do away with buying the software?

Note: I Have electrical and software development background.
I hope I can get to quickly pass the knx-ip stage and start the real fun here :slight_smile:

you have to buy an ETS version to program the KNX devices, either demo for up to 5 devices or lite version for 20, or full for more. There is no way to program not using ETS. Which is in my opinion their biggest problem with KNX, the software should be freely available and we pay the KNX fee by pricing into the devices… If more would then buy KNX it would be even cheaper than now. Enough ranting on this one…

You also have to configure all devices in HA, then you have zwave in HA and can interconnect them. This is what I have, additionally with zigbee using zha and a conbee II stick. Using Node-Rode for Automations.

Buy yourself an IP Interface, an actor for light on/off plus ETS demo and you can start to play around…

Have Fun, if you need any more help, let me know.