How can I repeat an action while a door remains open?

I had a fantastic automation that would send me a notification on my phone if any of the external doors were left open. It was single automation that repeated at 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 240, 360, 720, 1440 minutes (and then 1440 indefinitely IIRC). And I had one for every single door and fridge freezer in my house. However somewhere along the way I lost this automation I think because it used something that got deprecated. I’m now trying to work out how to recreate it or at least a close approximation to it.

I can create a single automation with a bunch of delays and notifications and ending in a repeated loop. But I’m not sure how to kill that automation when the door is closed mid-run. Looking for suggestions.

You could use an alert with a list of minutes for the repeat (and a config for each door), but a repeat action with a condition for when the door is closed will work too. You’ll need some templating to make it one automation using the trigger.entity_id.

That was it! I had set up alerts. And I still have the yaml file for that. Now to work out why it stopped working…

Check whether you still have the !include for it in your configuration.yaml.