How do I change the area id?

Hi all

Without really thinking about it I originally had a room named with an apostrophe, I have since changed the name of an area but the area id has not changed, where can I update the area id safely so it changes anywhere it’s also referenced?

Thanks

This is an issue for me too. I discovered the problem when first setting up HA and used some Area names I then changed, but realised the ID remained the same. At that stage it was easy to delete the area and start again, but once things are fully configured and running that is not going to be an option.

I am rearranging my house and some rooms will be re-purposed and hence renamed. I can rename the corresponding Area in HA, but then it becomes contradictory when the ‘Lounge’ Area has an ID of ‘Dining Room’ and e.g. the ‘Dining Room’ Area has the ID ‘Lounge’. With multiple rooms being re-arranged, this becomes a potential nightmare.

I realise that the ID is an internal reference and not necessarily displayed anywhere and HA will not get confused, but such a mixup of names and IDs is still something I want to avoid as it’s very bad practice. Why does HA not use a Unique ID that is not related to the name first given to the Area. Then any subsequent changes to the name of the room create no confusion.

How do others deal with this situation? Do no other HA users EVER change their room names and perhaps use them for different purposes?