How easy is it to migrate to Docker/NUC?

Hi All. I have a fairly OK and working Domoticz setup, working with RFLink433, Xiaomi Gateway, Logitech Media Server, and a Sonoff or two. But I was thinking to migrate to something with better support for some H/W (Harmony Hub, TRADFRI, etc), and more modern-looking interface. I did some reading and seems like hass.io might be a good choice - I have an RPI 4 that I got some time ago.

But I also started eyeing the NUC devices, and I am tempted to try Docker-ing some applications eventually.

The question is: if I set up my hass.io on RPI SD card, will it be relatively easy to migrate it some time in the future to NUC - either to Docker or some kind of VMWare environment? I wouldn’t really need a full system migration, I suppose, just the config (devices+data+scripts/automation)?

Absolutely.

Just copy the config directory over, including the hidden .storage directory located inside /config

If you go with HassIO you can simply do a Snapshot of the config on the RPi and then upload that Snapshot to the NUC and restore the Snapshot. There is even a nice HassIO add-on which does this for you via a Google Drive backup which makes it super easy.

AWESOME. So, it does make sense to me to start fiddling with HA config and will not have to re-do it once I get new platform. Thanks!

There used to be a caveat with this, that if you were using any of the add-ons that are pi specific, restoring a snapshot on a different architecture (ARM vs x86) could cause it to not load properly. Before you attempt to restore a snapshot, remove any of the add-ons that are pi specific.