How to ask Z-wave node to retry if command was not executed successfully?

I have few Z-wave power plugs that I want to control with Home Assistant, but one of those plugs (Node 10) is behind few walls so Aeotec USB stick cannot reach it directly. However, my USB stick does see Node 9 that is between Node 10 and USB stick, and both the USB stick and Node 10 is shown as neighbours for Node 9. Naturally, only Node 9 is shown as neighbour for Node 10.

So, I have an automation that turns the switch (Node 10) on and off based on whatever time I have set up with input_select sliders. But the problem is, that sometimes the switch goes on, and sometimes it does not, and OCW log shows this:

2018-04-07 21:20:25.814 Info, Node010, WARNING: ZW_SEND_DATA failed. No ACK received - device may be asleep.
2018-04-07 21:20:25.814 Warning, Node010, WARNING: Device is not a sleeping node.
2018-04-07 21:20:25.814 Detail, Node001,   Expected callbackId was received
2018-04-07 21:20:27.076 Error, Node010, ERROR: Dropping command, expected response not received after 1 attempt(s)
2018-04-07 21:20:27.077 Detail, Node010, Removing current message
2018-04-07 21:20:27.077 Detail, Node010, Notification: Notification - TimeOut

The same happens when I try to manually flip that switch on UI - sometimes it stays on, sometimes I have to flip that again. Anyway, I want to make sure that this power plug turns itself on when I want, so I wonder, if there is some way HASS could check maybe after 5 seconds or so, if that switch was actually turned on, and if it wasn’t try again, and do that until it actually is turned on? Or, somehow force Z-Wave to retry, as based on that log, it only attempts once and that’s it. I looked at manual of those power plugs and there is no setting that I could change to force Z-wave to try, say 5 times before giving up.

Sounds like you need to get another powered node in between the stick and Node 10.

There’s no way to change how often it retries, I’m afraid you just need to fix your mesh.

That’s a shame. I thought one of the benefits of z-wave network over 433Mhz RF devices was that you (or Hass :slight_smile: would actually know if your command was sent successfully or not. Well, basically that is true as you can see from the logs if your command succeeded or not. Just thought that if Z-wave system sends a log message saying that expected response not received, you could create some sort of automation based on that, and try again until log says “expected response received” or something like that :slight_smile:

As for Node 9 and 10, the distance is not much, maybe 5 meters and there’s almost straight, clean line between those nodes (one door with glass window on it). Where as there’s a windowless door and couple of corners and a distance of maybe 8 meters between USB stick and Node 9, and it works flawlessly… I do have an extra z-wave power plug between USB stick and Node 9, because I thought that’s where “extra routing power” was needed, but I might replace that between Node 9 and 10 for testing.