How to create native Z-wave scenes so Aspire in-wall scene controller works without HA?

I finally bought an in-wall scene controller (Aspire RFWC5AW) for my basement (lots of lights, lots of scenes) to improve the WAF (she can never remember the correct Alexa commands to set the different scenes). I’ve been digging through some posts about how to make Home Assistant respond to zwave Scene Activated events, which looks good, but I’m also wondering if there’s some way I can create “native” z-wave scenes so this thing will work even if HA is offline?

I’m not super clear on the inner workings of z-wave, so I don’t know if it’s possible for scenes to work without the controller present, but I thought I heard once that they could.

Scenes usually require some kind of controller. You are probably thinking of associations though. Group associations do not require the controller (besides the initial configuration) and will allow direct control of one device by another another. For something simple like toggling a light, associations can work well. If you need to run some kind of automation you’ll need to use scenes.

Here is a decent explanation between the two concepts: https://www.vesternet.com/knowledgebase/technical/kb-27