How To: Inexpensive ($10 US) WiFi RGB Bulb that works with Home Assistant

Thanks for that, and all your hard work!

Hi All,

The work is done! Documentation for the AiLight has been updated and has now found its place in the Github Wiki: https://github.com/stelgenhof/AiLight/wiki

Lots of pages have been added, updated and corrected. There are still a few things to add, however I hope you can information more easier now.

And for those feeling brave to create their own AiLight Jig: I have made all documentation, design files, models, etc now available as well: https://github.com/stelgenhof/AiLight/wiki/Make-your-own-AiLight-Jig

Cheers! Sacha

Note: you do NOT have to have a laser cutter to make that jig. you can 3d print it out of plastic Thank you very much for sharing those models

Ordering pogo pins and the others parts right now and starting a print of my first iteration.

1 Like

Ha true! I did mention that on my own blog. I will adjust the wiki page. Thanks for that!

(I did make own using my 3D printer, but somehow the pogo pin holes had some offset. Didn’t yet bother figuring out why…)

Cheers! Sacha

Hi, how’s the brightness of this wifi rgb bulb compared to regular bulb?
I’ve used xiaomi yee light before and they’re not as bright as regular bulb

Well, that depends on to what regular bulb you are comparing this to :slight_smile: These WiFi lights also come in different variants of output power (I have seen 7W and 9W).

The 9W version states 250 - 499 lumens (as per the product description). 450 lumens is comparable to a 40W incandescent light bulb.

1 Like

Could you release a compiled binary that we can just upload to the bulb instead of having to install the full dev environment? is there a way we can make this a little bit easier for those not used to compiling code?

Also On compile I am getting a “gulp no such directory error” Where can I download the “gulp” files it is looking for?

I also tried to install under windows when my osx build kept failing on that gulp. now it complains there is no git. you need to have a list of every single program required to make this work. I tried several graphical git programs and platformio hates them. what git client dos it play well with?

Hi @timgray
Sorry to hear you ran into some troubles. I definitely agree that compiling and flashing firmware might be daunting for beginners. Let me try to answer your questions:

1. Compiled binary: Definitely possible, have thought about it but not looked into it yet. I would need to do some testing since there are variables that depend on your preferences (e.g. MQTT settings, etc.).
  2. Gulp: Did you execute the command “npm install” (or “yarn install”) after downloading the source? This will install the needed gulp binary and libraries.
    Alternatively, you can comment out the line extra_script = build.py in your platformio.ini file. This will then skip the build process of the Web UI (which uses gulp) and use the prebuilt version as part of the source.
  3. Git: Have you installed Git on your windows machine from here: https://git-scm.com/download/win? There are also Windows Gui versions available mentioned here: https://git-scm.com/downloads/guis
    If Git is causing you trouble, you can also download a Zip version of the firmware instead:
    https://github.com/stelgenhof/AiLight/archive/master.zip

Cheers! Sacha

This is probably OK if those can all be set from the web server.

They can, but haven’t tested it yet :slight_smile: Just want to make sure it works perfectly before providing binaries…

Having been down with the flu since I last did anything, I’ll be hopefully doing some testing this weekend.

Perfect that specific GIT works. I tried a few other GIT installs and none of them were detected, but that one in the zip does work.

I will try running the yam install again. something is happening but the gulp keeps failing.

One thing I noticed, in your code you only use the white led’s if the R,G,B are set to all the same value, is there a reason you are doing it this way? typically RGBW lamps allow the White to be separate and mix with the colors. Plus it would help a LOT with how dim these bulbs are by turning on the White and the RGB all to full brightness for standard “white light” mode. Just a thought on that.

Thank you very much for all your help and for all the work.

Not sure I follow what you are saying about the Zip and GIT to be honest.

Could you send me a screenshot of the errors you are seeing? Easier for me to assess what is going on…

The firmware allows for setting the White LEDs separate from the RGB ones, but also together. I can perfectly set an RGB color with the white LEDs on and also off. Where in the code do you see that?

Cheers! Sacha

Guys,

Released 0.4.1 of the AiLight firmware: https://github.com/stelgenhof/AiLight/releases/latest

This minor release only addresses a few minor issues and some enhancements. Most importantly with this release going forward, compiled binaries will be made available. Also, Open System WiFi networks (i.e. without a passphrase/password) can now be used as the password check on the Web UI settings page has been adjusted accordingly.

Cheers! Sacha

First thing: This is really nice firmware. Sacha has done a great job.

Now to the question:
What is the difference between the bulbs with the silver base versus the gold base? Is there any real difference other than the color?

I have seen the silver bulb advertised at 5, 6, and 7 watts. The gold base I have seen advertised at 7 watts and 9 watts. I purchased a gold bulb that was advertised as 7 watts but the paperwork with the bulb listed it at 5.5 watts.

It seems like the gold base bulbs would be the ones to get but somewhere in this thread I think it was mentioned that the silver ones seem to be more sought after.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @gumbo,

Thanks for the kind words!

I have both silver and gold ones and they don’t differ in any way than just the color. A few weeks ago I had contact with one of the suppliers and he said that the silver ones are way more popular than other colors. That’s why it might be hard to find them :slight_smile:

As for the power, I have seen them in the range between 5 and 9W. The ones I have, I verified the output power with an Current/Voltage meter and they consume about 9.1W (all LED’s at full level).

Indeed it is sometimes hard to know if the product description is correct (looks like they randomly copy/paste descriptions/photos). Guess I was lucky with my 9W ones.

Cheers! Sacha

Great to know that, so it doesn’t differ much
Would be great to have some brightness comparison for each one :sunglasses:
I’m ordering a few right now to test them, definitely a cheaper alternative to yeelight

Btw, once flashed with custom firmware.
Can I send phillips hue command using alexa like turn on/down brightness at 50%?
Or just limited to on/off command

The AiLight firmware has no built in support for Alexa. Also, I’m not familiar with either the Alexa SDK nor the Philips Hue commands :frowning:

You can definitely set the brightness level in the range from 0 - 255, however not in percentage value.

Does anyone know if this model of bulb or a similar one that will run AiLight in a GU10 format?

Many thanks

The AiLight firmware works with WiFi RGBW LED bulbs that have a ESP8266 micro controller and a MY9291 LED driver.

I have only seen these lights with an E27/E26 socket, but not in a GU10 version.