How To: Inexpensive ($10 US) WiFi RGB Bulb that works with Home Assistant

got a bit paranoid about the cheap bulbs so decided to sacrifice one of the bulbs that stopped working by destroying it in a vice to check for any clear indications…

Can’t see anything obvious which is good, but I’m not sure about those input power cables? Seem a bit small to me for 240v (what I have in UK).

Unless you have some form of transformer UK is 230v from mains

you’re right! not sure about the gauge of those cables? that normal for an led bulb?

Well LEDs don’t usually use a lot of current so I wouldn’t worry if the bulbs are rated for 230v 5ampish, if they were 13amp I might worry :slight_smile:

1 Like

@DanielGalle @stelgenhof

Looks like this includes AiLight for the Sonoff B1? You know anything about it Sasha?

Mentions AiLight support?

I’m familiar with Tasmota, but haven’t checked their Sonoff B1 code yet. Will have a look.

Had a quick look at the Tasmota code and looks like they have made it work for the MY9231 LED driver. Still experimental though.

Perhaps I can add support in my firmware too :slight_smile: Just need a bulb to test…

Some more reading done:

• Seems indeed the Sonoff B1 uses the MY9231 driver, which is a 3 channel driver. The MY9291 is a 4 or 3 channel driver. From this and the photos, the B1 is a pure RGB light, and has no separate White color channel.
  • The Tasmota code mentions the B1 as a 6 channel device. Kind of confusing… Well, if the code works then nice!

Cheers, Sacha

1 Like

Hi All!

Summertime is the time to relax and take time off of work, so work on AiLight has been a tad slow :slight_smile:
Nevertheless, some time was found to give you a new version of AiLight: v0.5.0!

• Sometimes we forget that MQTT is not the only way we have to communicate with IoT devices. That’s why AiLight v0.5.0 includes an RESTful API to allow other type of applications, integrations, etc. to interact with your light.

• In addition, AiLight now supports Home Assistants’ MQTT Auto discovery, so your Ai-Thinker Light will be added to Home Assistant automagically.

Checkout the details here: https://github.com/stelgenhof/AiLight/releases/latest

Love to hear your feedback, comments, etc. In case you find any bugs, please use Github’s Issues tracker.

Cheers! Sacha

1 Like

I might have missed something here, but I can see that you provide a bin file know, does this mean I don’t need PlatformIO anymore to update the bulbs?

Yup! Some people have asked for the binary file, so since v0.4.0 I am providing it with each release.

what does this do in the config.h file?
#define LIGHT_STATE false

You can set your lights’ default state (i.e. On or Off) with this. This is used at compile time, not during operation though.

I’m reinstalling and reconfigure my Hass installation so therefore I’m asking some Qs right now :slight_smile:

I see now in my Hass (it might have been there in my old config but I have never noticed it.
but if I choose to change color/temp… at the bottom of the “popup” I have an text saying “assumed state false” I have attached screenshot.

Does anyone know what that is?

assumed_state

It reflects the value of the “optimistic” configuration parameter. According to HA’s source code for the MQTT component: “Return true if we do optimistic updates.”

Yesterday I received one of these bulbs from banggood. Pin layout looks the same as the other bulbs I have. Have not been able to test yet, because one of the pogo pins of my AI-jig broke and I will be on vacation for the next few weeks.

Will report back as soon as I got it flashed.

In the mean time: is it possible to identify the LED driver used by looking at the chips/print?

1 Like

Yes, you should be able to tell which driver is used by checking the components on the PCB.

Just checked, it says MY9192QD

1 Like

Sweet! Firmwares like AiLight and Espurna will then work with that light bulb :slight_smile:

Looks like they are on sale right now for $8.99/each!!?!!