How To: Inexpensive ($10 US) WiFi RGB Bulb that works with Home Assistant

@oakbrad Would you mind sending some screenshots of your light and your HA screen? It’s a bit hard to understand what the issue is.

If I move the slider all the way to the left, then the color is kind of white/blue. When it is moved to the right, it turns into a more yellow color.

Thanks!

I got 2 of these programmed with @stelgenhof firmware and I can send the topics to control them directly in mqtt and they work, but I can not get hass to recognize them or send anything. They just always are off in hass.

@ctls Could you send some more details like a screenshot and your HA settings?

Happy to have received another 10 Ai-Thinker lights this weekend. Managed to get a good deal.
Also created a jig to avoid meaningless soldering…

Used my laser cutter and some plywood for the base :slight_smile: Very pleased with the outcome and the precision of my home-brew laser cutter.

1 Like

I don’t have a laser cutter. Wanna make a few more?

If people are interested I guess I can make some :slight_smile:

I’m more than happy to pay you for it. I have some pogo pins so the wooden bit with holes drilled in the right place is what I really want. Either that or a template and I could do the wooden bit with a jigsaw. (My own thought was building it out of perspex, but wood is so simple and relatively easy).

I assume you have glued the pins into the wood and wiring is soldered on, with heatshrink over the top?

The jig consists of 3 layers plywood which are glued together. The holes for the pogo pins are laser cut as well and the pogo pins fit tightly in the wood without glueing. Indeed I soldered the wires to the top of the pogo pins and covered the soldering with some heat shrink (maybe overkill haha).

I can send the wooden pieces (assembled/glued) to you if you like. Just send me a PM

I am interested in one of your setups. Looks like it would save some time and effort, well, at least on my end of things. If you are still willing to make another, let me know.

Thanks.

Yes, there are a couple of people interested already so I can make one for you. Just send me a PM :slight_smile:

Oooh! I’m in - but I may be too new to send PMs. I just tried to solder some wire to the pads this weekend and realized I’m not very good at soldering yet… :smiley:

1 Like

If you can’t send PMs just drop me an email at [email protected]

Hi Sacha, could you please upload the pre compiled hmtl.gz.h to git. I am trying to compile it since a week now, but with no success. Not sure if it’s my Windows box or something else. I managed to eliminate nearly all errors/warnings, but it still hangs on fsevent and platform compatibility.

> npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@^1.0.0 (node_modules\chokidar\node_modules\fsevents):
> npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for [email protected]: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"win32","arch":"ia32"})

Another thing/tipp to position the pogo-flasher easier. Use two pins to align with the two holes in the pcb.
Otherwise it looks beautiful minimalistic.
Do you have CAD files for the laser cut? i would adapt them for 3D printing.

cheers

Hi,

Sure I can send the html.gz.h file. It seems people running on Windows experiencing issues building this file. I need to setup a Windows environment to properly test this. Let me see if can make that easier in the next release :slight_smile:

Oh good! I only noticed the two holes on the PCB now that you mention it! That is indeed a good idea. Maybe I can use that in a revised version of the jig :). At the moment the alignment works great, however.

I can send you an STL file if you like.

Cheers, Sacha

Thank you @nickrout, @zmrow and @DariBer for buying the jig! Hope it will save you some time.

If others are interested, I can make definitely make some more :). Have a look at my blog article here: https://www.sachatelgenhof.nl/blog/ailight-jig how to.

Cheers! Sacha

Hi Sacha,

Does your AI-Light firmware support commands from Alexa, presumably emulating a Wemo device?

Hi @stevendom57,

The AiLight firmware integrates with Home Assistant using the MQTT protocol. You can use Home Assistant’s automation component to control the AiLight firmware.

I have not used Alexa yet, but I was able to control my lights using Siri (leveraging Homebridge). So in that sense, yes you can use voice commands to manage the AiLight firmware :slight_smile:

I’m using the AI light with Hass and Alexa. Here’s an howto how to get it to work. https://youtu.be/zZuwQ9spPkQ

would this light work? Looks like a good price for Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0PX5VM

@Skilly Yes, the lights shown in the Amazon link should work. Pretty much any light that uses the “Tuyasmart” app should be OK.

2 Likes