How to restore a backup

Anywhere you can browse to on or from the machine you are using to connect to home assistant.

I never get that restoring from snapshot page after the dialog box closes when I hit restore. Then when I try going to the page again I get a “empty reply” from HA.

help!!

Attempting to restore a snapshot from HA on ubuntu to Pi4. Every time I attempt to restore the snapshot the notice “Fetch Failed” comes up. I have done this several times. separate Pi’s and separate sd cards. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am seeing the same issue here trying to restore on a Pi4.

Hi Tom, the snap-shipper add-on now also supports S3 storage.

May I add this to the guidelines on how to restore individual files from password protected snapshots?

1 Like

Please do.

I am trying to do a fresh install after 2021.2 seem trashed my setup… but after upload snapshot tar, I am no seeing the checkbox shows up to select restore. Is there bug?

I am on pi 4, 4GB, using hassio 5.10 32-bit. My snapshot is from 2021.1

Do you see the snapshot in HA - Supervisor -> snapshot? If not, then first restart HA. Once you see it, you should be able to click on the backup and select restore.

Since I ran into multiple issues on 2021.2, so I ended up downgrade to 2021.1.4.

After that I can upload the snapshot, then the selection shows up. But nothing seem to happen when I click “restore all”. There is no restore in progress box showing, not sure if there is action in the background, but there is no indication on the GUI.

So, I login from console, and saw the snapshot uploaded. I finished the restore from console.

I am running over wifi, using Chrome 88 on Fedora

I have the same problem here. The screen does not change into “Restore in progress”. When I do a refresh I get and error screen. In some cases I can select an other snapshot over and over again. I tried several versions from home assistant, several USB sticks and several snapshots. This drives me crazy. Please help.

Updated wording from “snapshot” to “backup”.

Trying to restore a backup, download new docker image, connect to instance, but all I have is the standard create a new user dialogue, with no other links for restoring, etc.
What am I doing wrong??
Tried in several browsers, and have tried several times.
So, created user and went into the interface, but cannot find anywhere in there to restore, only to backup…
Help please.
Thanks, John.

These instructions are for Home Assistant OS.

Any chance of pointing me in the right direction?
Have searched the community, and can’t find anything to do with restoring…

There is no restore for a docker install. You can extract all the files from the backup /config folder (including hidden files) and copy them to your new install.

Seriously?
That’s fairly straight forward to enable backup/restore?
Why enable backup, if there is basically no simple way to restore?
Copy them to a new install – where?
Not trying to be difficult, but…?

2 Likes

The restore feature is only available in Home Assistant OS or Supervisor. Until recently the backup feature was only available there too. I’m not sure if a restore feature is planned for docker installs.

Copy them to your /config folder.

Sorry, but is there something, somewhere, that explains this process a little?
Thanks for your patience!!

1 Like

The backup is a compressed archive. You can extract the contents with 7zip or similar.

Copy the the /config folder and its contents from the backup to your system /config folder and restart.