How to track down bad ZigBee repeaters / Sonoff ZBMINI relay issues

Hello all,

I have recently purchased a Sonoff ZBMINI ZigBee relay. It’s sort of targeted for lights but I’m using it for an extractor fan which is only 25W.

Sometimes when I turn it off in Home Assistant it turns off then turns straight back on which is really bad considering it’s a fan that would then run all day if away. You can hear the fan and relay turn off for about half a second only.

I don’t really have this problem with anything else. Perhaps sometimes hue switches require two pushes instead of one.

It’s not far away at all from various powered hubs (sonoff and IKEA). Looking at the map shows it connected to three IKEA mains switches, the main Sonoff coordinator plugged into the pi via an extension, and two IKEA lights. I am not sure what these different numbers mean on these paths. The IKEA stuff is up to date. It shows an LQI of 47.

HA is running on a Pi which is running core version 2022.11.4.

I do have a hue hub too which has the hue lights connected via a different ZigBee channel. I have one hue device which does keep getting stuck but afaik this is a separate network?

I’m wondering if it’s either faulty, something needs changing in my config or if I have a bad repeater somewhere? It does show as a light in HA.

Thank you

Suggest upgrade firmware of Zigbee Coordinator as well as firmware on that Sonoff ZBMINI if possible.

Though before that suggest first following the best practice guidelines as can get weird issues if Zigbee Coordinator USB adapter has bad reception due to interference, which is common if not using a long shielded USB extension cable to a USB 2.0 port or via a powered USB 2.0 hub (and not a USB 3.0 port as those are infamous for causing interference). After following all those best practices, do a factory reset of the device and try pair it again → Generic best practice tips on improving Zigbee network range and general stability · zigpy/zigpy Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I am using a long cable but I don’t think it’s got any kind of special shielding. I’ll check that out.

I did have a look for a firmware update for the ZBMINI but I had no luck. I’ll try again later on.

I did update the main Sonoff controller when I got it but it’s probably been around half a year now.

Cheers

The most important point is to get the Zigbee Coordinator as far as possible away from all electric cables and electronic devices or appliances which could be a potential source of interference. The worst know sources are from USB 3.0 devices and cables or from WiFi routers and access points.

The general rule is that if it looks be thick then it probably has adequate shielding. Almost all extension cables that are classified for high-speed USB 3.0 will have adequate shielding, while practically almost all cables made for USB 2.0 will have no shielding what so ever, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding#Example_applications