How to work with Hassio

I’ve been running Hassio for about a month on a PI. This is my first experience with linux ,after working with Windows for 20 years, so from time to time it’s hard to figure out how to do different things. I found this:

The component included in HASS will detect the TV, but controlling is not possible. So I created a custom component. Just create a file samsungtv.py in the custom_components/media_player folder and copy the following content into it:

I struggling with simple question like, where is “custom_components/media_player folder” and how to edit the file. So could someone point me a starting point to start learning.

Hello!

I’m assuming that you have installed the Samba share addon in Hassio, and that you can use your computer to see the config directory (where your configuration.yaml file lives) on your PI. If you look in config directory, you’ll see a bunch of files and possibly a folder or two. As far as I remember the custom_components folder isn’t there by default and you have to create it; to do so you just create a new folder (right click > new folder on a PC) and name it custom_components.

From what you have written it looks like you then need to create a media_player folder inside the folder you just created, so the directory structure will be CONFIG>CUSTOM_COMPONENTS>MEDIA_PLAYER.

Using a text editor (Notepad++ is my favourite) paste the samsungtv.py code into a blank document and then save the file as samsungtv.py in your newly created media_player folder.

Then you can follow the rest of the instructions.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks JS1.
I’ll try this. BtW how should I have known this?

I ended up working it out after spending too much time on the forums and piecing it together, there might be comprehensive instructions somewhere but I didn’t find them!

After reading my instructions above I did make a mistake, you need the Samba share component to expose the Hass.io folders. I’m going to edit my original post in case someone else lands here looking for help (so don’t think you’re crazy).

In Hass.io on a PI you pretty much do everything remotely, the easiest way is with SSH to start, stop, and restart your Home Assistant server, you can use software like PuTTY that runs in Windows, here’s a useful video on how to set it up: https://youtu.be/L7PCPQYwspo

The forums for Home Assistant are a great resource but sometimes it takes a lot of searching to find what you are looking for. I also look for example code and modify it for my own purposes, it’s a good way to learn. You’ll find some examples here: https://home-assistant.io/cookbook/

you dont need samba share. i use WinSCP and connect to my hassio rpi3 using ssh with a ssl key. it works great

That is another option, it would be awesome if you could post a step by step guide for the original poster and other people who drop by this thread.

Thanks for the help. I’m made my Samsung TV work by using this info :slight_smile:

To use WinSCP with your HassIO install, follow this to get the SSH addon setup and create a key using PuttyGen. Once you have the key created and saved in the addon, you can direct WinSCP to look at the saved key file (as saved on your PC from PuttyGen) within the WinSCP settings (see snapshot below).

Now when you connect to your HassIO instance with WinSCP, you can log in without any worries about passwords etc (as these are all saved) and you can create files, move things around, save them between you RPi and PC all with ease. I do all my YAML editing through WinSCP because it is nice and easy and then I just drag and drop the updated YAML file from my RPi (on the right hand window of WinSCP) across to my PC (on the left WinSCP window) to create a local backup on my computer.

2 Likes

Excellent! Hassio is great but despite the occasional frustrations, it’s definitely worth the work.

Good info @sparkydave thanks!

Hi
this is great, and was a big help for me getting my TV integrated.

Next for me is to integrate Onkyo Receive. I found this https://github.com/miracle2k/onkyo-eiscp

First task is to run command like this to install the component.

$ easy_install onkyo-eiscp

My simple question is - how to run command like this i Hassio? I’ve tried Putty, without any luck.

Hi, have you tried the Onkyo component?

I have the same question as Torbenan. I’ve changed my home assistant to hass.io installation, but have a problem with my scripts for Onkyo. The onkyo component is very limited(no zone support for example), hence i have some shell commands that used to work but now don’t work anymore.

onko_1: ‘/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/onkyo zone2.power=on’
onko_2: ‘/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/onkyo zone2.volume={{text}}’
onko_3: ‘/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/onkyo zone2.selector=network’
onko_4: ‘/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/onkyo zone2.internet-radio-preset=4’

how do we get these back to work?

My problem is, I don’t know how to run the command? Should I use Putty or what else?

Hi, unfortunately I don’t know anything about Michael Elsdörfer’s Onkyo eiscp setup. Hass.io uses ResinOS so things are a bit different to a “standard” Linux installation and there are limits to what you can do with the command line interface so some instructions won’t work.

The idea behind Hassio was to reduce the amount of command line tinkering necessary to get stuff working, it was made so that add-ons could be installed. https://home-assistant.io/hassio/installing_third_party_addons/

You could look to see if there are any Onkyo addons, perhaps Michael can help or, If you want to get into detailed tweaking you could move from Hassio to a Raspbian based system.

I would also suggest starting a new thread mentioning Onkyo and Hassio in the title so that people in the same boat can help you.

Sorry I can’t help more with this one.
Justin

Thanks for posting - this was a lifesaver. Hope the infor below can help someone as well.

I have setup HASS.IO to use SSH (Putty) for configuration. The instructions for one component called for putting a file into the the /hassio/share folder usng SAMBA (not installed), and which Putty can’t see.

Looks like /share in an SSH session is the same folder as /hassio/share in SAMBA. (Ditto for the /config, /addons, /backup and /ssl folders respectivly from SSH.

Hi Torbenan - I have the same issue with my Samsung TV. Do you mind sharing your samsngtv.py file?